Monday, July 14, 2014

The Move to Georgia

Well,  the move to Georgia is almost complete.  Nick and I, along with the help of Mary and Ron, loaded the Uhaul last week and made the trek from Fort Mill, SC to Valdosta, GA.  It was the WORST drive we have ever done.  The road trip is just awful because it's not a straight highway trip.  I am so used to our trips to FL where it's all highway, I didn't hesitate to say, "let's go now" when we packed up the truck in SC by 4pm.  Once it got dark and we were driving on two lane roads in the middle of nowhere, with no street lighting at all, no cell phone reception and light rain/fog in some parts, I wished I had reconsidered.  At that point, we just had to push through because there was no alternative--there was nowhere we could stop for the night until we reached civilization again at Valdosta.  But we survived and made it to our new house safe and sound.  Poor Ron and Mary had an awful trip too the next day but we all take solace in the fact that we will never have to do that trip again.  
Nick and I unloaded the truck on Saturday.  We were held up by the cleaning crew that had to come in on Saturday to clean the house because the property manager forgot that we were moving in on the 11th and not on the 15th.  We were not happy campers at 1am when we arrived at the house and noticed how dirty it was (AND someone had left some nastiness in the bathroom).  BUT, the cleaning crew came and we were grateful that they got someone out there that quickly.  We staged our stuff in the garage and once they left, we started putting stuff in the house.  I feel like we got a lot done in just one day.  We welcomed Ron and Mary Saturday evening and had our first dinner at the house, Moe's take-out. :)   
On Sunday morning, we had a nice brunch at a restaurant to spend some work-free family time and celebrate Mary's birthday.  Then we went on a mission to find a refrigerator for the house.  I didn't realize that would take up most of our day and I apologize to Ron and Mary who were patiently going around with us as their departure time kept getting delayed because of our (in)decisions.  But we accomplished the mission and the fridge should be delivered on Thursday.  Now we are back in FL and so excited to see the kids again.  The plan is to rent another Uhaul on tuesday so we can take up some furniture we have in Orlando as well as a washer/dryer set my sister is giving me (so grateful) to Valdosta.  The Guittar Party of 5 shall be in Valdosta by Wednesday afternoon.  I am beyond excited to show the kids the new house and see their reactions as they explore the house and neighborhood.  

P.S.  As excited as we are about this move, we are completely disappointed in the fact that we don't have good internet in the new home.  The speed is a lot slower than we're used to (like less than 1/2 what we're used to) and we have a limited data plan.  This means that I won't be able to upload/download pictures and videos like I'm used to which affects my blogging here.  I'm upset about this because I use this blog to document the kids' lives and I print blog books at the end of the year so the kids can see their lives in print.  Sadly, there will be a decrease in the posts until we figure out a better internet plan.  :(  

No comments: