Monday, October 20, 2014

Raisin Cane Farm

Yesterday we took the family to Raisin Cane Farm nearby.  They are opening up the farm and fun activities to families during the months of October and November.  Once we got there, we were so happy to see that it was like the Springs farm we visited in Fort Mill, SC but this was even better.  The corn maze is no joke!  It's the biggest one I've ever seen.  The kids were so happy they could do everything as many times as they wanted (without tickets) and the open field was great for them to run out their energy. 
The only thing that was different was that instead of pedal carts, this farm had these bouncy horses to race on in the hay track.  They were lots of fun.  Nick said it was a good core workout.  I opted out since I was still a little sore from my 16 mile run in the morning. 

The hay ride took us around the entire farm perimeter.  It's a huge farm and they grow quite a bit of peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants and squash.  BUT, I don't think anything is organic.  I forgot to ask them before I left but based on what they grow (the "dirty dozen") and what I saw, I don't think it is.  I still have not found ANYWHERE outside of Publix that carries organic produce in this town.  I miss EarthFare!!!!  I'm also very motivated to grow my own now given the lack of choices. 
Anyhow- the kids had a blast and we'll definitely have to go back before they close for the season.  It cost $10/person for adults and kids over 4, but we got our $30 worth.  We spent about 4 hours there, came home had a late lunch and went back for more fun.  Next time, I'll pack a lunch to eat there. 




 I love this sequence:




 It's so hard to get a good picture of Liam, that even if it's sideways I'll take it.

 He loved the straw and studied it for a while.




That's the map of the corn maze. It makes those wild west shapes for real.  

 They had these little houses and there was nothing inside of them but the kids just loved going inside them.
 They called this one the garage, I called it a stage.  Liam sang the ABC's once.
 Below was a miniature store and it did have a cash register painted on the wall so Liam liked that.
 A chapel "just like school" (said Liam)
 The corn box.....this is so much better than a sand box.  I wish I had one in our yard.











 I was shocked when I saw Gavin and Liam put hands around each other....unprompted.  Moments like this makes our hearts melt.

Gavin trying hard to figure out the clues around the corn maze.  It was pretty cool.  Each station had a clue or an etching to do with a crayon and of course we had to collect them all. 

No comments: