I forgot to mention in the last update that the same week Liam was miraculously potty trained, we also took the bobo away from Ellie. She's been pacifier free for over a month now. It was a rough few days but she no longer asks for it. So, that was a big step for us and her. I knew that I was holding on to it to make her stay a baby longer. It was more for us than it was for her but I realized it was time to let it go.
This week in particular it seems like she's flying. She has put several "long" sentences together and she's socializing like the boys are. For example, she is constantly asking us, "Mama/Daddy, what are you doing?". She uses the phrase, "hey guys" to get our attention. This week for the first time she told me, "I'm hungry". Typically we ask her and she answers but she had never told us herself.
Today as I was driving them home from school, she asked, "mama, What does that say?" and I looked and she was pointing to a sign. Then she said, "I see M" and there was an M on the sign. She's incredible. On a related note, Nick got the kids a bagel from McDonald's one morning on the way to school and now when we drive by she says, "M, M, bagel". She calls McDonald's, M. It's incredible how quickly kids pick up on those things.
She looks like such a big girl when she walks in to school with her backpack on and now she walks straight in without looking back at me at all. I do love how when I pull up on the car line and she is so excited to see me and starts yelling, "mama, mama".
Ellie is OBSESSED with "soothies" (aka smoothies) at the moment. Nick bought me a Vitamix for christmas so I quit my addiction to Smoothie King b/c I now make them at home and they're kickass. Well, I let the kids try my breakfast peanut butter smoothie once and they were hooked too. Liam and Ellie both love their smoothies in the morning. She has a routine which is hysterical to us.
As soon as she sees me pour the milk in the Vitamix, she runs to her room. She's scared of the sound from the Vitamix (it's a loud machine). She waits in her room until she hears the blender stop. Then she yells from her room, "Mama, are you done?" Once I say, "yes, I'm done", she runs back to the kitchen saying, "Ellie too, Ellie too". She comes into the kitchen, goes to the drawer where I keep the stainless steel smoothie straws, she grabs her straw and keeps saying, "Ellie too". I give her the smoothie, she tastes it and says, "mmmm, it's good". She does this EVERY morning, exactly the same way.
Yesterday I took them to the playground and after a few minutes, she came to me and said, "no playground, Ellie want soothie". So we came home and she wouldn't stop nagging until I made one.
At this point, Ellie is just a pre-schooler she's so advanced for her age. She knows so much and her reasoning and logic is beyond her age. She amazes us every day. She talks and acts like a preschooler. She has started the use of the word "because" and she must explain everything she feels and wants with "because....". So I often will ask "Why?" just to hear her say "because.....", it's just so darn cute. I wrote this on Facebook but I cracked up one morning when she told me, "I want a dress because I don't like pants" and I just gave in. I don't know if I've said this before but she is the only child I've ever been around at this age that can express feelings so clearly. She uses "I feel ____" statements. For example, one day there was a thunderstorm and she came into my room and said, "Mama, I feel scared" and I asked her why and she answered, "because the rain outside". Another day I was driving her to school and she started making a whining sound, I asked her what was wrong and she said, "I dont' want to go to school". I asked her why and she responded, "because I don't want to go to lunch bunch". Lunch bunch is when we have to leave her and Liam at school for lunch because we are stuck at a faculty meeting until 1pm. Liam and her like to have lunch with us at home. The day before this we had left them for lunch bunch so she thought we were going to leave her longer at school again and was upset. I explained that there was no lunch bunch that day and we'd pick them up at the regular time and then she said, "ok, I'm ready for school". I was so impressed by her ability to clearly express why she was upset. I don't recall the boys being so expressive at that age. They talked but not so clearly about their feelings....hell, we're still working on I feel statements with Gavin at 6 years old.
Ellie reminds me a lot of Gavin. She loves puzzles and has gotten so good at them. She is putting together 24 pieces puzzles on her own. Nick taught her how to sort pieces so she opens the box and we'll hear her say, "corner, side, middle, middle, side, corner" as she's sorting them into the three piles. She starts with the corners and sides and then the middle pieces....it's so cute to watch her through the process.
She is fearless and super independent and can not only play by herself for hours but she will make up a game out of nothing. She still loves to color and make art. She also likes when we display her art on the frames on the wall....and gets upset when we take it down. She will try just about anything. She's fearless in the water and will jump into a pool's deep end without hesitation.
Any one who takes care of her just speaks of her easy going nature. She's up for whatever and I don't ever have to worry about her making a scene. She's predictable. As long as she's got her needs met, she's good. She LOVES shopping. She likes to try on shoes....all of them! This week I did have to leave a store with her crying though because I told her she had to put down the Minnie Mouse sippy cups package she fell in love with at the store. I told her those were for babies and she was a big girl, to which she replied, "no, Ellie a baby" because when it's convenient she still refers to herself as a baby.
Ellie has her daddy wrapped around her finger especially at bedtime when she refuses to be tucked in by me and asks for "my daddy!" to come to her and tuck her in.
We love our Ellie!



No comments:
Post a Comment