Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Gavin's first triathlon race

On July 18, 2015, Gavin completed his first triathlon race. This was a kid triathlon race, ages 6-14 (although there was even a 4 year old competing which is awesome). He was so excited for this race. He thought it was the coolest thing to have a race where he could do all of his "favorite" things: swim, bike and run.

Both sets of grandparents were there for the occasion, all whom were more nervous than Gavin. I asked Gavin a few times if he was nervous and each time he said no. Liam was excited to cheer Gavin on and was inspired by the event because he asked me, "when I get older, can I do this race?" If he only knew my dream would be to have all three kids racing.

I was most worried about the swim because although Gavin is a decent swimmer, I felt it was a long distance (50 yards) for him. We just reiterated to him that he could take breaks, flip on his back to rest if needed and he did. Although I told him to pace himself, he must have been too excited when he jumped in the water because he got winded quickly BUT he finished and that's the important part.

It was a great experience for him and a learning experience for all of us. I have never done a triathlon so it was new for me as well. The race was set up like the grown-up races where only the participants could set up their transition areas (where they come in from the swim to switch to bike and from bike to run). Gavin set up his own transition area and it just looked so cute next to the bike on training wheels. I was happy to see that he wasn't the only one with a bike on training wheels. That's definitely a goal for this year. There were no 7 year olds with training wheels so we know by next year this HAS to happen.

The 6 year olds lined up.
I was able to capture Gavin's swim but after he got out, I was running like a maniac trying to catch up to him. 

The distances were 50 yard swim, 1 mile bike and 1/2 mile run. The swim is the hardest part in my opinion, but Gavin disagreed with me and said that the run was the hardest part. I guess he has a point- you are tired out by then. 
I should have recorded his transition so Gavin could learn from it. All of us, cheerleaders, were just laughing on the sideline because it was like Gavin forgot he was in a race. He switched back to "school morning Gavin" mode and took his sweet time to put on his socks, shoes, and helmet. In his defense, I know he was probably exhausted from the swim. On top of that, he was trying to put on socks with his feet still wet which we had not practiced because I imagined he would use the towel to dry them but he didn't. It was funny (and frustrating, we just wanted to run and help) for those of us on the sidelines to watch.

He did "make up" for it during the bike. He rode as fast as he could on his bike. Below is a video of his run as he got closer to the finish line. I believe you can see my mom running along side on the grass. She too was racing. :) 


The clip below shows how I was running like a mad woman after Gavin and was useless as a video recorder.

And here's our proud champ. Funny thing is that my whole life, 318 has been a lucky number for me and common numbers in my race bibs and his bib # was 183. Maybe the same numbers will be lucky for him. 
All of us were inspired by Gavin on this day. I can't wait to sign up Gavin for an official swim team when we get back. Several families had all of their kids participating in the race and I know that will be us in the near future.
GO GAVIN GO!!! You make us proud. xoxo

No comments: