Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cuteness!


This is the face that I have to look at every day....poor me! :) I don't know how I'm going to discipline this child when he looks at me with this face. He is just too freakin' cute. I know every mother says that about their child- I've joined the club.
I feel like I shouldn't write about this because I don't want to jinx it but since I use the blog as a way to document milestones, I have to. For the last 3 nights, Nick and I have tried a new approach during our night routine to break Gavin from the habit of waking up every 2-3 hours (when he's not hungry). I read my baby book and looked through a couple of websites and they all said the same thing- babies have to learn how to soothe themselves. I also learned that this whole time I've been enabling the behavior by 1. not putting him to bed until he has already fallen asleep on me and 2. picking him up every time he woke up in the middle of the night. So, this week we tried the tips and so far so good. I've been putting Gavin to bed between 7-7:30pm when I get home. He usually fusses for about 4 minutes and then falls asleep. He's been waking up at 11pm and then around 3am for feedings. I'm still not to the point where I feel rested because he still fusses in between feedings. However, he is now learning that whining will not get him picked up so he goes back to sleep in a few minutes.
I'm still not ready to put him in his own room. I swore I would put him in his own room as soon as he slept in 4 hour intervals but I am just too paranoid to let go of him still. I didn't see this coming at all. I thought for sure I wouldn't have a problem with it. Even with a baby monitor I get very anxious just thinking about him being SO far away from us during the night. Not to mention my new paranoia of kidnappings, break-ins, or natural disasters and having Gavin in his room. Gavin's room is in the front of our house and ours is in the back so I'm paranoid I wouldn't get to him quickly enough in case of an emergency. I'm thinking the maternal instinct/overprotection just kicked in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, first time mom definitely. From 2mths on Aylani slept in her bed and without monitor. Of course that was not the case with Jana. I guess you'll learn to let go at some point. We put Aylani to bed when we know she is tired. As long as she has a clean diaper and has been fed, she is good to go. As harsh as it may sound ...as long as there are no tears of blood she is good to go. And she has slept through the night since two months. And she has 2 scheduled naps a day one at 10:30am and at 2:30am and is in bed by 8:30pm. It is great to have a schedule and stick to it. But you have to let them learn to sooth themselves. It takes time and of course I saw the "face" and who can put him down. He is really just too cute!!!Can't wait to hold him. Love
Tania

Anonymous said...

¡Esta hermoso!

Love,
Maribel