Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nap/Overnight Sleep Update

Yesterday Gavin went to bed unusually early at 5:30pm. I thought for sure he would wake up during the night. However, I was curious if what I had read in the baby book would be true..."early to bed, late to rise". Gavin didn't wake up until his usual 11:30pm feeding, and then continued to sleep until 5:30am. Then he slept until 7am'ish. I was shocked and so happy.

I was wondering if the Dr's advice of letting him cry would work for day naps too. Gavin has been cranky and out of character for the last couple of days- we think because of the shots on Friday. Yesterday he did not nap at his usual times. He would fall asleep and wake up 10 minutes later. He basically skipped his morning and afternoon naps. His afternoon nap is usually around 1 or 2pm, and he fought it until I just decided to put him to bed at 5:30pm. He spent the whole afternoon cranky and miserable (and so did I).
This morning started out the same way but today we decided that he was too tired to skip the nap (even though he slept over 12 hours). He was sitting up, his eyes half way closed and his head would nod he was so tired. I put him in his crib and he whined for less than a minute before he was knocked out. He was too tired to fight. However, less than 10 minutes later he woke up crying hysterically. Nick and I looked at each other and painfully chose to ignore him. He cried for a good while (about 10-13 minutes) and then golden silence! He slept for an hour and a half. That's a nap! Now, he's the happiest baby around. He is enjoying some tummy play time with dad. I am happier too since I got to nap with him. I have been extremely tired this weekend, even though Gavin's been a better sleeper lately (the 3 and 4am crying fits really hurt me).
Now that I see how much better he is, it's not as hard to let him cry it out. He is so happy when we pick him up after a nap that I don't think he remembers that we "abandoned" him in the room before he fell asleep.

No comments: