One year ago on this exact date I took a pregnancy test. One year ago, I was worried about how my life would change and whether I’d be able to handle it. A couple of weeks before I took the test, I was debating whether to go back to school for my PhD or have a baby. I thought each choice was exclusive of the other. Nick and I went over Plan A, B, C, and D; 2 year plans; 4 year and 5 year plans. The most logical and feasible decision was to have a baby while we were still in Orlando and had family support. As I looked down at the pregnancy test results it was difficult for me to digest it all. I could not believe that I was going to have a baby. I really had not imagined that day and it just felt weird.
One year later, I sit with a 4 month old in my lap and 6 weeks away from starting the Soc PhD program at UCF. Nick always told me that it [having a baby] would not be as hard as I made it sound. I know what he meant- once the baby is here you just do it, you take care of him and life goes on as “usual”. However, it is the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. It is a learning process and the biggest challenge I’ve ever accepted. It’s a good thing it’s a team challenge!
A year later I am starting to realize that we can do everything we ever wanted to do –even with a child. Yes, it takes longer, it is more difficult but it is achievable. I feel stressed to no end when I just think about what the fall semester will be like for me. Nick and I will both be super busy with coursework, assistantships, teaching, work, and Gavin. However it is a short-term sacrifice that will pay off in the long run. Nick and I have dreamt about both being professors, working a school schedule with summers off to spend traveling or with family, and having the perfect schedule to balance career and Gavin. As much as I stress about it, it is nice to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel and the grand prize. I get to spend time with Gavin and have a professional life too. Nick knows how to motivate me and he keeps reminding me that by the time Gavin is 4 years old and heading to pre-school, we will both be Dr. Guittar!
2 comments:
I don't know many couples with your energey, goals and real results. In fact, I don't know any! I know couples that I admire, love and appreciate, but not with the drive to learn and teach like both of you.
CONGRADULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!
Love,
Mary
Very cool that you will both be in the program together but "summers off". HA HA HA! That is a good one.
Take care and keep running!
Christy
Post a Comment