Monday, March 8, 2010

Gavin's 12 month check-up

I forgot to post the latest "stats" from Gavin's 12 month check-up.
I didn't go with Gavin this time. Nick took Gavin to the appointment all by himself...of course with a list of questions from me!
Gavin weighs 21 lbs and is 29 inches tall. Nick forgot to jot down his head measurements but all of his measurements were still at the 50th percentile.
All is well and Gavin is still a very healthy little boy. He met all the milestones. We asked about changing the milk over. He does need the fat and vitamin D in whole milk. The doctor said if we choose to give him only soy milk we can do so but he would need a supplement. It's easier to give him dairy milk so we're sticking with it. I have been reading so much environmental stuff lately that it makes me cringe a little to give him dairy milk but I've made my peace with it. I hate that I think "everyone else does it, so it must be ok". I know that's not always right but I'm compromising on this one.

We're still concerned a bit about his language skills but the doctor said that we can expect him to be delayed a bit since he is being raised in a bilingual environment. He said it's normal but that it makes him smarter in the long run. Let's hope he's right. :) Gavin does say some words VERY clearly and knows exactly what they mean. For example, he says "bobo" which means pacifier in Spanish. If he sees one across the room, he will point and say "bobo". If he really wants it, he will say it non-stop and will get progressively louder.
Other words are arbitrary. My mom swears he says "agua" (water) and knows what it means. I think he says it because he hears his little cousin say it but he doesn't put one and one together yet. Also, I think he thinks Nick and I are both "da-da". He calls both of us dada....maybe I stressed the da-da too much earlier on.
I am amazed at how responsive he is right now. I swear I feel like he understands what we say. He has also began to use his pointer finger for everything. Although he doesn't speak much, he makes his wants known very clearly.

No comments: