It was a challenge to get this done with the kids (Gavin and Isabel) but my mom helped out with child care and then would help me while they napped.
I totally forgot to take a "before" picture but here are some pictures of the mess and the final product. The veggie garden only takes a small portion of the plot we cleared.
You have to picture what this plot looked like before.....all kinds of ferns, dead plants, gravel, mulch, rocks, pieces of wood (filled with fire ants- i think wood eating ones too), and more crap. It took quite a few trips in the wheelbarrow to take out all the crap I pulled out of there.
Here's the "after" shot, after clearing it of all the dead plants and ugly stuff.

It was hard to keep Gavin away from these dirt piles. He would've sat on it and played all day if we let him.
Below is the veggie corner starting to take shape.
The tallest plants are the peppers because I bought those already grown. Besides the banana peppers and the rosemary, everything else was grown from seeds. I planted basil, tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, green peppers, eggplant, zuchini, squash, lettuce, leeks, and rosemary.
Below: Mulching the squash plants


I ran out of mulch at the end so the leeks and rosemary are not well covered. 
The border plants are marigolds because they are supposed to keep some pests away- although not much of a necessity since this is a screened area but they look so pretty!
Not pictured are the potatoes and green beans that were planted outside. I also planted two sweet potatoes that sprouted while in my pantry so we'll see what comes out of that. The rest of the plot will be up to my mom to design and do as she wishes although I think we do plan to fill it in with some herbs. We have some mint growing now for the garden. Any suggestions of other stuff that won't grow too big for the indoor garden?

No comments:
Post a Comment