I finished a 10K yesterday, 58:54, a personal record. I'm still shocked that I am running faster than ever before. I think it's helped that I'm not just running, I am also cross-training. I've been doing a weight class at the gym in school, which kicks my butt every time and when I don't run I cycle at home. I'm really enjoying working out because I'm not in "training mode", meaning I don't have a specific race I'm training for, I just want to be in the best shape I can. The fact that I don't have to just put in a number of miles each week, that I can choose what workout I feel like doing has made a big difference. I've learned that I can actually look forward to running because I run on my own terms. I originally was training for the OUC 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks but I decided on that I little too late and I would be building up to the mileage too quickly, I think. I could finish it but I don't want to ruin the good streak so I'm sticking with the routine I have now without the pressure of a long race. Although I do have my eyes set on one in February (Melbourne Rock n Roll), I just know that training through the holidays is not always a good plan so I'm playing it by ear.
For now, I do plan on running a couple of 5K's through the holidays to work on speed. I also think Gavin may do his first kids' race this season!!! It may sound like he's too little but at the UCF kids' race, they had multiple kid races by age group and in the "Under 4 years" category, there were toddlers in the back "running" with their parents. Nick and I were walking around the UCF arena last week and we were in a rush to get to the car but Gavin wanted to walk on his own. I put him down and I said "run Gavin" and he started running. We were actually in the same spot where the kids' races had taken place and Gavin ran more than the distance they had set for the "under 4" age group (it's a very, very short distance; I think he runs longer upstairs in his game room) so I think he would enjoy it when he runs and people are cheering for him. Yes, this is part of me "coercing" him into thinking running is fun so I will have a running buddy later on. Then maybe Nick will join and we can have a family team! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment