Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

Gavin's ready to eat.
The gang joins the table. Dad is taking picture.

Traditionally, we spend Thanksgiving day morning/lunch time with Nick's family and then drive over to my parents but this year Nick's parents went to visit his aunt so we just went to my mom's for the day.  Since Nick and I are still not eating meat (I have cheated, Nick has not!), I cooked a few side dishes to ensure that we would have enough to eat for the day.  I did have a piece of turkey out of tradition.  I made homemade macaroni and cheese with broccoli (thanks to Grandma Mary for the recipe- although, it was not as good as yours), stuffing, green bean casserole, roasted brussels sprouts with red peppers and nuts, and a roasted stuffed pears green salad (pears pictured below--delicious!).  My parents took care of the sweet potatoes, turkey, and meat stuffing.  It was all excellent!

My "gourmet" creation this year.  Baked pears stuffed with pecans, cranberries and bleu cheese (1/2 since not everyone likes it) and drizzled with a balsamic vinegar/brown sugar dressing.  To be served on a bed of spring mix/spinach greens.
Friday was shopping day.  Originally I was going to wake up at 3am so I could be at Target by 4am when they opened but since I didn't actually fall asleep until after midnight, I opted to sleep in a little and wake up without an alarm.  I woke up at 6am and headed to Target.  I was still able to get everything I wanted.  I was mostly looking for kitchen stuff for myself- stuff we need- and also some gifts for my sister since she's getting married.  I'm trying to switch out my "Tupperware" to all glassware since it's supposed to be better for food storage (glass doesn't leak stuff into the food) so I scored my glassware set.  I also scored a big George Foreman grill, which Nick has been dying to have...to make sandwiches! :)  I am hoping it grills veggies well so cooking will be easier for me too.  There were other little things.  I meant to stop by Home Depot and pick up some .99 cents Poinsettias but I wanted to head back and nap before it got too "late".  We relaxed most of the day and worked on the Christmas tree.  Gavin was a good helper.  We have a few "travel" ornaments from Restoration Hardware and are pretty heavy.  He loved playing with them, especially the airplane.  We had to place the airplane at the bottom of the tree so that Gavin is able to move it safely.  He loves the Christmas "socks" too.  He is confused as to why we keep calling them stockings and corrects us, "socks". :)

Saturday was Stacy's bridal shower.  I'd say it went well.  Today, Nick and Gavin headed out to Disney to ride the monorails.  Gavin LOVES LOVES monorails.  If we say monorail, he says "drive".  We don't know why he thinks he's driving when he rides one but the words are synonymous to him.  I think at this point in time we can say that Gavin's dream job is to be a monorail driver.  I, of course, had to stay home and finish working on my term papers.  There are only 2 weeks left in the semester so it's cramming time.  Nick and Gavin were on a mission--to get our Disney park annual passes.  I'm looking forward to the end of the semester when we can finally all go as a family to Disney world.  I'm also waiting for my new SLR camera to get here by mail so I can take wonderful pictures of Gavin at the park.  I can't wait to see his face the first time he sees Mickey and Minnie.  

No comments: