Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gavin and Liam meet Santa and Mrs. Claus

Saturday we headed out of the house EARLY (8am) to USCL (where Nick works) for a folk art sale.  There were a number of Catawba potters at this event.  Catawba pottery is handmade pottery made by members of the Catawba Indian Nation with clay from the banks of the Catawba River.  There are specific rules to follow for it to be considered true Catawba pottery but the main thing is that it's done by hand with minimal hand tools and there are no ovens to bake (not sure if that's proper terminology) the pottery, it's all done over an open flame outdoors, and it can never be glazed.  We didn't buy any this time around.  It is quite expensive--or more than we are willing to pay at this time.  

I got to meet a few more co-workers of Nick, and saw a few people who I had met before but had not met our little ones.  Gavin behaved like an angel and everyone seemed to enjoy his conversations.  It was one of those days where he just couldn't have a single thought without speaking about it so it was nonstop talking.  After the art sale we needed to grab lunch before heading to downtown Lancaster to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus.  The couple who sat next to us at lunch didn't realize that making eye contact with Gavin would cue his curiosity.  Gavin immediately asked their names and established a conversation with them.  I was trying to get Gavin to turn around so he could keep eating and he told me "I don't want to eat, I want to talk to this lady".  She laughed.  The couple had a son who  introduced himself and then told Gavin he was 4 years old- showing Gavin his 4 fingers.  Gavin replied he was 2 years old and showed him his two fingers and then turned to the boy's mom and asked her "what is your number?", to which she replied "it's a really big number.  someday your daddy will teach you not to ask a lady her number." :)  Not satisfied, Gavin turned to the boy's dad and asked, "what's your number?" and he did answer.  That's the first time Gavin has ever asked anyone their "number".  

At downtown Lancaster we visited the local hospice resale shop (Nick learned about it through his leadership class tour and we've visited there a couple of times and just love the staff) to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus.  We told Gavin who we were going to see and he didn't care so much about Santa so much as Mrs. Claus.


Telling Santa he is two years old


 Liam puked all over his very cute "let's meet Santa" outfit so the pics are all in the spare outfit from the car...which by the way is a pastel color and that means he is automatically considered a girl.  Even in the previous outfit which was pastel blue people still asked "boy or girl?".   When I say boy, everyone pretty much follows up with the same response, "he just has such a pretty face".  :)


When Santa asked, what do you want for Christmas?, Gavin replied: "A Christmas tree."
Once we were home Gavin did say, "I already have a Christmas tree but I still don't have Jr." so he is consistent about his Christmas wishes. Although he has told Nick that he has a white Christmas tree but he needs a green one now.  :)

Every time we visit Lancaster people ask us where we live.  Nick has crafted an answer that pleases everyone "we're looking for a house but for now we are renting in Indian Land".  The USCL staff along with everyone we meet in Lancaster wants us in "Lancaster proper" as they say.  I like the area where we live now because it has all the conveniences that I am used to.  I have nice grocery stores, a Target, shopping areas, and parks/playgrounds all really close to the house.  Lancaster doesn't have much, it's a very small town BUT the people are amazing.  Every time I visit they make me want to be their neighbor.  I have to be aware of my demeanor when I'm in Lancaster because I am afraid I may come off as being "stuck up".  This is because I am not used to people making eye contact, saying hello to strangers or asking "how are you?" and want a genuine answer.  The last time I visited the resale shop this woman stopped to talk to me and I figured she just wanted to look at the baby, say he's cute and move on but she stopped to talk for real.  I didn't reciprocate by sharing things about us and why we moved, etc. because I figured why would this total stranger care.  After I left I thought about it and her facial expression and I told Nick I thought I had disappointed her by not talking about us.  It is a small town and I like the feeling of everyone caring for others.  The staff at the resale shop are super nice.  They each introduced themselves and gave us great info and they just really make you feel like they genuinely do want us to feel at home and be part of the community.  We'll see where we end up.  

1 comment:

Christina and David said...

It is funny you mention the small town thing. When we were in DC for the crim meetings, David said that nobody said "Hi" back to him or made eye contact in the hotel. I told him this isn't Carolina Beach.