Monday, May 14, 2012

Just need to vent....

I think I may be preaching to the choir here but I just need to get it off my chest.  I am so tired of people using religion as a tool of oppression.  I'm so disappointed in the recent North Carolina vote to constitutionally ban marriage for same-sex partners.  I am so happy and proud that the President FINALLY decided to affirm his support for same sex partners.  Sadly his personal beliefs probably will not turn into federal policy changes and the GOP will just use that to attack him this year before the election.

Marriage equality is the moral thing to do.  The Constitution of the U.S. awards us the right to the separation of church and state.  It is one of the best rights our forefathers awarded us.  Countries that do not have separation of church and state have fought (and continue to fight) wars over religious beliefs.  Religion is a private matter, not a matter of the state.  The State's job is to provide equal rights for every citizen.  In my opinion, marriage should not be a matter of the State for anyone, man+woman or otherwise, but I realize we're too deep into that hole to turn the dial BUT the least we could do is extend the rights to include everyone.  The bottom line is that marriage can be viewed as either "sacred" (the church), "secular" (outside of religion--i.e. "the State"), or both.  Marriage equality (if approached properly) has nothing to do with "sacred" marriage.  Churches can do what they wish regardless of what government allows.  Marriage equality is about State rights--which must be afforded to everyone equally.

Nick's interesting fact of the day: although most states DO NOT allow same-sex couples to marry, most states DO allow people committed of 1st degree murder to marry (while in prison, no less).

May I remind people that "marriage" is a social construction.  What we define as "traditional marriage" has changed over time and we have consistently excluded a group of people from participating.  Here's a visual that shows the evolution of "traditional marriage":
(Note:  It wasn't until 1993 that Alabama changed their law books to say that interracial couples are ok to marry!)
Religious beliefs were used at every single stage to support the law. I am particularly saddened (and angered) when I hear or read WOMEN opposing marriage equality.  It wasn't so long ago that women did not have equal rights as men, especially in the institution of marriage.  It's crazy to think of an American society where women were not allowed to have credit unless her father or husband co-signed for her but that was reality only 35 years ago.

When I was in high school there was a trend of wearing "WWJD?" (What would Jesus do?) bracelets.  That was supposed to remind us to think about what Jesus/God would do and in turn what we should do.  I am not religious in the mainstream sense (mainly because of issues like this) but I just really want to pose this question to all the religious freaks who claim they're promoting their hatred because it's what Jesus/God wants.  It's like an SNL skit, Really?!?!?, Really?!??  You think Jesus would exclude perfectly good citizens from happiness just because they love someone of the same sex, Really?!?  You think it is YOUR job to judge and provide "punishment", Really?!?!?  You think it is ok to teach your children it is ok to judge, hate, and discriminate, Really!??!
I refuse to believe that any higher being/force would support inequality, hatred, discrimination.  That is why we call them a "higher being."  This negativity is man made and it needs to stop.  It starts with us and it continues with our children.  Make their world better.  Make their world inclusive and all loving.  It's that simple.  Treat others the way you would like to be treated....isn't that WJWD?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ditto! I love when people are easy to dismiss the Jim Crow laws as barbaric and a sad time in our country - but they can't connect that it's the same thing, just a different group that is being treated unequally.