I forgot to blog about my visit at the birth center here in SC. I scheduled an appointment for a tour and a meet and greet with a midwife just to go over my options in case I have to deliver in South Carolina rather than in Florida. The good news is that the midwife agreed to provide pre-natal care for me until I return to Florida. I learned quite a bit in my visit. From my visit to their website, I thought they did not do home births at all and if I wanted an out of hospital birth it could only be done at their birth center but I was wrong. The state of SC does allow home births and this midwife is one of the ones willing to come to the house. Of course, the midwife brought up a good point in that I really only have a one week window where a home birth in SC would be possible since I plan to return to FL by 38 weeks. At 37 weeks I am considered full-term and can deliver without restrictions but if I were to go into labor before that's considered pre-term labor and it has to be done at the hospital. Bad news is that from what the midwife explained to me, the SC hospitals around here are NOT natural-birth friendly so she said there would be much resistance which is why they opt to cross the border to the nearby North Carolina hospital (Pineville) if they have the option (non-emergency, e.g. if my water breaks but all else is well). Of course, in case of a true emergency where I have no option but an emergency c-section then the nearest hospital will do but given my history the chances of that are very slim so I'm not really worried about that.
Perhaps the saddest story she told me was that this state has a 37% c-section rate which is not only super high but worse is that there are still no doctors that will allow a vaginal birth after c-section (VBAC). The midwives are not allowed to do VBAC's either so once you have a c-section you have no choice in this state. VBAC's are a barrier everywhere but at least in FL there are options. In my case if I were to have a c-section, it's not as big of a deal because it's my 3rd and final baby so I don't have to worry about future births. But the midwife told me about a first-time mom who went into labor at 37 weeks and had a breech baby. She really did not want to have a c-section because she knew she'd be doomed for her subsequent births so they transferred her to a Davis, NC hospital where there is a doctor who will deliver breech babies and she was able to deliver naturally (baby was 5lbs 10oz so it wasn't too hard the midwife said) and mom and baby did well.
For now, I have an appointment scheduled for my first official visit in 2 weeks. I do want to meet with one more midwife in Lancaster. Nick told me the hospital in Lancaster has a nurse midwife he learned about during his Leadership class. I'd like to meet with her before I make a final decision on who to go to here because 1. I'm curious how she and the hospital in Lancaster handles things, 2. because she is part of a medical practice she should be 100% covered by my insurance and 3. we get 50% off at the Lancaster hospital for being USCL employees! So IF I were to need a hospital and it's not an emergency, we'd drive down there for care.
Although I was happy to find a birth center and a midwife here in SC, meeting with her only reiterated to me how much I love my FL midwife. There's just no one like her. I have full trust in her and that's what made me feel so at ease during Liam's labor and delivery. It's hard to feel that way with someone new so although I am putting Plan B in place, I hope I never have to use it and I get to deliver as planned in FL with Kaleen.
No comments:
Post a Comment