Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Atlanta trip recap

We took a family road trip to Atlanta, Georgia, not for fun at all.  It was Nick and I's annual regional academic conference.  We were both presenting but luckily we were not presenting on the same day so we could take turns with the kids.  Originally, I had thought about taking someone with us to help us with the kids but it was going to cost too much to get another room at the conference hotel (they were full anyway) and I abandoned the idea.  At the end of the 3 days (actually after the first night) we decided that this would be the LAST time we take the kids to a conference.  It's just too hard to get anything meaningful out of the conference and network like we should with the kids plus the kids get so out of whack in a hotel room and out of their routine.  Nick and I both are members of committees and need to get more involved to meet our professional responsibilities and we just can't do that with the kids.  This year, Nick attended the meetings while I stayed with the kids.  Nick did stay with the kids while I attended the student social since it was my birthday the next day and I am grateful for that.  I Bjorned Ellie and took her to the restaurant/bar.  I even had a glass of wine and it was delicious...and we both slept great! :)

The drive was not bad at all.  It took us about 4 hours to get there.  The kids did superb on the road.  I had prepared a lot of snacks for them, new stuff they had not tried before and so that was part of the entertainment.  I prepared "breakfast cookies" (made out of peanut butter, oats, applesauce, whole wheat flour, applesauce and maple syrup) for us to have for breakfast in the hotel room.  They were a huge hit.  I'll do that again every time we go on a trip.  I also baked whole wheat biscuits and froze them for the trip so we could have with peanut butter or jelly as a snack or alternative breakfast and that also worked out well.

The kids had a hard time going to bed in the hotel room.  We turned off all the lights and even went to bed ourselves (until the boys fell asleep).  But with the conference schedule and having to get dinner out, the kids ended up going to bed by 9pm.  Then Nick and I would wake up later and do some work until midnight or so.  The first night was the worst bedtime but it did get easier the following nights once Liam realized the new routine.

The absolute worst experience came on Friday night as we attempted to go out for a birthday dinner for me. We went to Hard Rock Cafe because we thought the music and all the decorations will keep the boys interested throughout dinner and make for a pleasant dining experience.  It started off promising. Ellie was asleep. The server brought out the kids' food first and they were eating and behaving well but Liam's attention/patience wore off by the time we got our food.  We had to take turns to walk him around the restaurant.  It was close to 7pm which is when our kids "turn" and it just went downhill quick and soon all 3 were crying and it got so bad that Nick and I almost joined the crying.  We walked back to the hotel (2 LONG blocks) with three crying kids getting looks and stares all the way back.  There was just nothing we could do to make them happy at the moment- they were over tired.  Nick and I did not get to eat our dinner- had to get to-go boxes- and the server brought out my birthday ice cream sundae and I took one spoonful of it and had to leave the rest because the kids were so awful by then.  Definitely the worst dinner experience ever for us.  When you look at the build up up to that day, it was to be expected-- 3 days without naps for Liam, out of our routine and in a hotel room, 3 days without a normal bedtime, all culminating at that one moment.

The good thing was that it was our last night in Atlanta.  I presented in the morning and then we headed back home and Nick's parents were waiting for us at home to spend a few days with us and the kids.  It was SO nice to come home to a warm meal and great company/help!

No comments: