Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dear Ellie,

You are now ONE!  Everyone always says the first year flies by.  There are times where I feel like "how can you possibly be one already?" and there are other times where I'm so happy that you're one already. I'm just being honest, baby girl.
Being our third baby, I do feel a bit self-conscious that I have not blogged as much about your milestones and stats as your brothers.  I will say that your dad and I may not have documented as much but we were present for everything.  We truly took the moments in and cherished them because we knew you are our last baby.  In fact, that is likely the reason we don't have as many of your milestones on film.  We learned to take in the moment, and that approach has taken us away from the lens a bit.
You are such a ray of sunshine--literally and figuratively.  It is apparent that we chose your middle name wisely--you are truly jovial.  Forever happy, Ellie.  When I (daddy) walk into the room and see your smiling face it completely takes me over.  No matter what kind of funk I am in, your aura and positive energy pick me up instantly.  Everyone told me, "oh, you've got a 'daddy's little girl' now."  Well, you still love mama more, but we do have our own amazing connection and interesting language.  There is this throaty grunt you do--only when talking with me--and it is one of those sounds I hope to never forget.  Happy 1st Birthday to the funny, inquisitive, talented, tough, determined, and beautiful daughter of mine (that was the feminist in me that noted your beauty last--although you are absolutely adorable).

Everywhere we take you, everyone seems to come and talk to you because  you're such a charmer.  You smile and make faces to those around you. You just started taking your first steps although you're still afraid to walk on your own.  You hold our hands and can walk all around the house.  On January 1st, you took your very first steps all on your own.  5 steps all on your own.  That means that you beat your brothers.  [As of 1/11/2013, you are walking all by yourself all over the house!].  You seem to be learning so much from your brothers.  You don't say any real words yet besides, da-da and ma-ma, but you want to talk and often have "conversations" with people.  You are very good at imitating sounds. You stick out your tongue when we do and have learned what "donde esta la lengua?" means (where's your tongue?) and you show us your tongue as soon as we ask.  You also know the song, "If you're happy and you know it" and you clap your hands at the appropriate times.  Abuela taught you "manos arriba" (hands up) and you put your hands up on cue.  Your favorite area in the house is the entertainment center where we keep DVD's. It's your happy place! You love to take all the DVD's out.  Sometimes you try to put them back but it mostly ends up being a mess. We let you do it, because we can see the concentration in your face.
You're a tough little one.  Your brothers wrestle and bounce around you and you hold your own.  You like to "play" blocks/Legos with your brothers.  The game consists of them putting blocks together and you taking them apart!  It's almost like you can't stand to see the blocks stuck together and have to free them.

Also- you are just like your brother Liam in that you LOVE your snacks.  You DEMAND the foods you think you want.  I say, foods you think you want because you are a picky eater and you want to eat but most times you just end up spitting it out.  You do love starchy junk food like crackers, baby cookies and pretzels. At the moment, the only real foods you eat consistently (or at all some days) are oatmeal and bananas. In fact, we cannot go to the grocery store without you grunting and pointing to the bananas asking for one.  We always have to pay for one banana for you to eat while we shop or you cry the entire time.  You are stubborn and because of that and your dairy allergy, you are still nursing (one of the reasons I said up top that I'm glad you're one already).  To date you have not taken a bottle and there is only ONE sippy cup that you will drink out of.  That's ONE sippy cup...and it can only be found at Publix in Cocoa, FL not even online so we take care of it like gold!
Although the milk/food side has been challenging, you really have made up for it in every other area.  You have brought us so much joy and truly have made us complete.  We love you and look forward to your next milestones and developing personality.

We love you Ellie.  Happy 1st birthday!
Love, Mama and Daddy



No comments: