Wednesday, August 17, 2016

First Day of School 2016-2017

August 17, 2016: was the first day of Kindergarten for Liam and 2nd grade for Gavin. I know Liam has been waiting for 2 years for the day that he could finally go to the same school as Gavin. So, he was pretty excited. It was extra special to have Grandma Mary and Grandpa Ron with us to experience this first day for all of us. There are so many "new" things about this day and the kids just took it in stride.

Gavin got up before his 6:30am alarm went off. Liam slept until I woke him up but once I said, "good morning", he answered, "good morning.....it's the first day of school" and smiled. Last night, I asked the boys what they wanted to wear. It's P.E. day so we were debating whether to wear "active wear" or wear the "nice" outfits. The boys opted for the "nice" outfits and they chose to match the same day. I was surprised but Gavin said, "it'll be so cute if we match" and "it'll remind us to look out for one another."

Neither of them ate a good breakfast with all the excitement. Liam happily took these pictures which again surprised me.



As we were getting ready and sent the kids to get shoes on, Gavin runs back into the kitchen and yells out that his tooth had fallen out. It became loose a few days ago so we were expecting it soon. He seems pretty happy about it.





 Ellie didn't want to feel left out. I took pictures of the boys and she walked out and said, "take a picture of me now." She doesn't start school until either Friday or Monday (her immunization records were late so we have to wait until they are processed before she can begin. :( )


 It was faint but that is a rainbow over the school as we walked the kids in. It's a sign to all of us that "every little thing is gonna be alright."

 We had to split up since Kinder and 2nd grade are at opposite ends of the school. The school here does drop-off very differently than what we are used to. Parents are not allowed to go inside the school at all. ALL children wait outside of their classroom doors until it is time to walk inside. On rainy/snowy days, they'll have to change that protocol but it worked for today.
Nick saying bye to Liam as he headed to walk Gavin to 2nd grade
 This was a sweet moment. Gavin hugged Liam and wished him a good day at school, unprompted. Sometimes they shows signs that they do indeed love each other.
 Off to 2nd grade....

 You can see the construction in the back where there should be sidewalks. :(



Sweet Ellie and Gavin holding hands. 

Liam waiting his turn to be checked in with the teacher

 The kids were unbelievably patient waiting for school to begin. I was getting impatient but they held it together well.
 The wave good-bye to the parents...

After drop-off, we went to a bakery for coffee and donuts. Ellie got her wish (and later regretted it when her tummy hurt, she said, "I ate too much sugar")


The boys rode the bus home. I was nervous because we didn't get a chance to show them or talk about where they needed to get OFF the bus. I mentioned it in passing to Gavin and I was hoping and praying that he would remember and pay attention enough to know when to get off. He remembered!
I love that smile.

Liam's thinking face.

Then the happy face that let us know he was alright. 
 This was the sweetest moment of the afternoon:  Ellie hugged and squeezed Gavin and told him, "I missed you!" and she meant it. She also followed Liam around telling him, "I missed you Liam, I missed you." Sometimes, she is so "motherly" to those boys. <3 p="">


Liam said his favorite thing about the day was P.E. Gavin just excitedly told me that not only did he get to do P.E., he did music as well. I'd say they had a good day.
Tomorrow morning will be the real test as the boys will be waking up early to ride the bus TO school and not just from school. Cheers to 2016-2017 school year!!!

No comments: