Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Denver: 1/2 Half Day

I had a terrible flight from Orlando to Denver. Had I been pregnant in this flight, I would have had to use the yacking bag. It's been almost 2 hours since I landed and I'm still nauseous/nauseated (whichever is the proper term). It sucks because now I don't know if it's because of the flight or if the altitude is making me feel sick.
A few things I had forgotten about flying:
1. People's ability to disregard instructions. How many times did the counter lady have to say "please have a seat until I call your seating section- do NOT stand in front of my counter"? I was glad she was a bit rude because stupid people deserve it.
2. People's ability to disregard common sense. If the bag is sticking out of the overhead compartment, it is TOO big- you should have checked it at the counter. However, I partly blame the airlines for this. Now that they are charging $15+ per checked baggage, cheap people like myself are forced to squeeze their belongings into a single carry-on. But I still blame 80% on the people who still do not know what a proper size carry-on bag looks like.
3. Why do the people seating in the back of the plane feel the need to jump out of their seat the moment the seat belt sign comes off at the gate? It's like they think they can outrun everyone else in front of them. I particularly hate the people who try to get their baggage from the overhead compartment when they don't even have enough room to stand up straight. They loose all awareness of people around them.
4. Just another pet peeve of mine...."business" people who are just too important to wait until they get off the plane to tell their "secretary" to send an email/letter to someone and pass on messages. Can't they just pretend their flight is another 30 minutes and wait until they are off the plane? I'm attached to my Bberry but I won't talk on it when I'm in such a crowd- that's what emails and texts are for.

Moving on...
I had a wonderful shuttle driver who gave me the tourist treatment during the 30 minute ride to the hotel. They had reserved a shuttle just for me, he even knew my name before I could tell him. He pointed out various facts about Denver and told me about his most recent trips up to the mountains, Pike's peak is the only one I remember. There were too many other named peaks, after a while they lost all meaning. I do recall him saying it was 14,000 something feet above sea level and how hard it is to breathe up there. The mountains are still snow capped and he said they would be until June. I would love to see the view but the driver said it's probably about 15 degrees right now and I packed like a Floridian so no mountains for me this time.

My hotel is charming. I think I'm close to downtown Denver. The good thing is they have a shuttle service within a 5 mile radius. I'm about to go head out to explore downtown Denver. They have a mile long mall area (my mother's dream!). I'm heading there and I hope to make it to the US Mint. It looks like it's only a couple of blocks from there. The weather is perfect for outdoor walking. It's about 60 degrees right now.
Gotta run- shuttle comes in 10 minutes.

No comments: