Friday, May 1, 2009

Reflux, Vaccines and Graduation

Gavin had his 2 month wellness check-up today with a new pediatrician. I didn't blog about it but I fired Gavin's old pediatrician after a few incidents that just made me realize she's not a pediatrician by vocation. After meeting the new ped Dr. it just made me wish I'd gone to him since the beginning. The new Dr. was very thorough and within 30 seconds of checking him he said "he has reflux, have you noticed it?". I told him that I suspected it but the other Dr. had told me that it was rare and that Gavin didn't have it. When I told him that she had switch him to the sensitive formula, he said we didn't need to do that, we just need to thicken his formula so it stays down better. Starting today we are giving Gavin rice cereal and probiotic with his formula. I was surprised when he said to add a leveled TABLEspoon of rice cereal for every ounce he drinks. That seems like a lot. I'm afraid he'll turn into a real "chunk-a-monk" now that he has the added cereal. Hopefully he'll start eating less frequently and it will balance out. The doc also asked us to take the wheels off one side of his crib and/or elevate one side of the pack n' play so that Gavin's upper body is elevated. That should also alleviate the reflux.
I feel terrible about this. I should've gone with my instinct. I'd read enough to know that there was a good chance that's what is bothering him. The doc said all the symptoms I mentioned were textbook (arching his back, spitting-up, crying 45 min after feedings, crying when he is laid on his back). At one point the doc said "poor little guy, he's been suffering this long"- I told him "don't make me cry!" Hopefully from now on it will be better and he won't need medication.
Outside of this Gavin is doing well. He weighs 12 lbs 2oz and is 23 3/4 inches long. These are both at the 50th percentile for his age. The doc was a little concerned about Gavin's head measurements. They are at the 25th percentile for his age which is still within the normal range- just the lower end. He said he couldn't be too concerned because he didn't have a point of reference since the other doc had not sent him the medical records yet. Gavin's head measured 38 cms and I told him it was 33 cms at the last visit. He said that was a good sign. He told me not to worry about this because he is a healthy boy otherwise and seems to be developing at the normal rate. Gavin did show off all his "skills" with the exception of peeing like a geyser or projectile pooping- thank God. The doc told me Gavin should be rolling over in the upcoming months and he asked not to leave him unsupervised at any time. I then shared Gavin's ability to drag himself across the pack n play which he proceeded to demonstrate for the doc while he laid on the table (on his belly). Gavin uses his legs and arms to pick himself up, drag himself, and turn himself 90 degrees. This is the same thing he used to do when he was a newborn and wanted to nurse. I would put him on my chest and he would do a little crawl to turn himself to get to the milk.
The doc reiterated to NEVER lay him down on his belly when he is sleeping even if I'm watching him. Tummy time is for play time only. He said "it" can happen at anytime and I know exactly what he's referring to- say no more doc, I got it. I told him that we had started to lay him on his belly because he would just cry if I laid him on his back. This should be resolved now that we know why he cries when he's on his back. Gavin also got 2 vaccines today. He only cried immediately after they injected the needles. As soon as I picked him up from the table he was back to normal. Such a drama king!
Before the doctor walked out, he told me Gavin is very cute and I should have 3 or 4 more like him. I think he could tell I didn't think that was funny. He then said "I'm kidding, I have 2 and sometimes I think I have 1 too many". I told him I'm afraid of that. For Nick and I, the jury is still out on whether Gavin will ever have a sibling.

Gavin's buddy, Nathan, was at the doctor today also. They met up in the lobby.
This picture makes me smile everytime I look at it. It's just like the doritos commercial. It's harder to tell that they're 3 weeks apart.
After the doctor we came home to watch Aunt Stacy graduate. Stacy graduated today from FAU. Gavin and I watched the ceremony through the university's webcast. Of course, Gavin started crying uncontrollably right before they announced Stacy's name but I did catch a glimpse of her before she left the stage. I love college graduations. I can go to a hundred weddings and not shed a tear- take me to a graduation and I'm bawling even if I don't know anyone who is graduating. I don't know what it is but just the graduation song makes me teary-eyed and by the time the doctoral candidates are conferred I have tears down my cheeks. Nick says it's because education is more important to me than marriage. That could be. I think it's the fact that I can picture myself in their shoes. I know graduating from grad school was a big achievement for me- it was tough working full time and going to school. Maybe I just know the sacrifices that are made for that moment to happen. All I know is that I'll need a full box of tissues when Nick is the one on stage again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent write up. Thanks.

RonDad

Jill said...

The "boys" are so sweet! Thanks for the picture. (ps) Gavin doesnt look so small next to Nate anymore :)

Anonymous said...

Steph...I cry at every graduation also. LOL!!
Christy

Tina said...

Wow, sorry to hear about what has happened with Gavin. Glad you caught it on time. Kaleb had those same symptoms but with my breastmilk. Thats why I stopped breastfeeding. Kaleb was 9lbs 12oz at his 2 month appt. I have a little man here. Even today he still fits in newborn clothing. He's going to be just like his brother, skinny and long. Can't wait to see you guys.