Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gavin's 1st 5K

Nick, Gavin and I completed our first 5K race as a family this morning. Nick started all the way in the back of the pack to avoid the crowd for Gavin's safety. I was a little scared about it but I knew Nick would take every precaution possible.
Here we are trying to feed Gavin a little before the race just so he wouldn't wake up starving in the middle of the race.

Nick thought it'd be funny to act like the "real runners" to see people's reactions. We were laughing too hard for anyone to think he was serious.

Below is Nick finishing strong! He was not last. In fact there was a big group behind him. It was really funny to see Nick come around the corner all by himself- there was a big gap between him and the group behind him. We wanted to cue the music from the movie "Rocky". Gavin slept the entire time.
Nick is trying to be more active and I think this race gave him a little push to continue. He asked me to hold him accountable for doing cardio. His goal is to run 3 miles.
I'm looking forward to doing another race soon. I didn't have a goal time for myself. I just wanted to try to run as much as I could and I achieved that. I only walked for the water break and another short walk towards the end. I finished in 36:17- not bad for being out of commission for a while. I'm impressed with myself and I'm excited to get back in the game. It's amazing what a little 5K can do for your self-esteem. Today I realized that it doesn't matter what my body looks like or what size I wear as long as I feel like I can do the things I used to do as well as I used to do them.
I hope Nick joins me in future races. It'll be fun to have a partner on the road to push around! I'm a good trainer- I think. :)

3 comments:

Mary Downey said...

You are a great trainer and thanks for encouraging me to do a 5k today! It was really fun and I look forward to many more!

JR said...

What a great way to stay in shape and enjoy family time doing something together.

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

I love it!!! Gavin is getting early knowledge of keeping active. It will be retained in the little recesses of his mind. A family who plays together stays together. Stephanie, I don't know anything about your training, but I would believe that you are top-notch. Keep up the good work you guys.

Love,
Mary-Mom