Thursday, April 9, 2009

6 weeks in review

So 6 weeks have passed and it has been quite a ride. They've felt much longer than 6 weeks. After Nick and I came back from Japan, Nick and I learned that it's not until one is completely out of their comfort zone that you learn who you truly are. This again has proven true for me at least. Being a mom to Gavin was totally out of my comfort zone. The first 2-3 weeks were difficult for me physically and emotionally. It's funny how that period seems so long ago. Now it's normal for us. It still seems surreal that we're parents. I'm still having a bit of an identity crisis. I always saw parents as "old" people and I don't feel like I'm old or old enough to be a mom.

Some other lessons from the last 6 weeks...

1. Have multiples of everything that Gavin needs spread out throughout the house or locations where he might frequent (e.g. grandma's house). By multiples, I mean at least half a dozen. If you were to look at all of Gavin's stuff you'd think we had triplets.
2. Pack 3x what I think I'll need. It took me a few times to learn this. The day I packed two bottles b/c I'd only be gone for 4 hours, Gavin decided to eat every hour rather than every 2 hrs.
3. Allow 3x the regular time it should take for anything. This is critical when I must leave the house by a specific time. Murphy's Law always applies in that case.
4. Nick said he underestimated what the phrase "he will become the center of your universe" really means.
5. I'm still amazed everytime I look at Gavin. For one, he is so cute it's hard to be upset at anything when I'm with him. But mostly because I still can't believe we made him. We made a little person!

All in all I think we just went over the hump and it should get easier from now on. Yes, I know once they're mobile and start talking it's a different kind of stress but it's also more fun. :)

No comments: