Saturday, April 4, 2009

Milestones

I've been researching what milestones newborns should accomplish by 1 month of age. I told myself that I would not be neurotic about milestones so don't worry- I won't be that mom! However, I want to familiarize myself with appropriate behaviors for each stage so that I can address them in time-whether the child is ahead or slightly behind. I'm happy to say that so far so good.

Gavin is much more alert now than in previous weeks. He is mesmerized by his rainforest crib toy and likes his activity gym although he can't really "play" with it just yet. This week there have been plenty of smiles. I've been telling Nick that they're not "real" smiles, it's just a reflex. However, this week it seems like either the reflex has great timing or they really are a conscious reaction on his part. He reacts really well to my mom- better than with me! Yesterday, he was close to a bout of laughter with her.

Gavin has been doing really well on his belly. He can move his head from side to side when he's on his belly. He also has pretty strong legs. Anytime his legs can find something to push on (e.g. my legs, the bed, etc) he pushes himself. Yesterday, we laid him on his belly on a rolled up blanket (sort of like the boppy) and he pushed himself over the blanket. My mom and I were shocked. When my mom talks to Gavin, his face gets all excited and his mouth changes. It's like he is trying to talk back. He has a couple of new sounds that are consistent. Most of the sounds seem pretty random.

We both enjoy play time in the mornings. This usually lasts from 8:30am-11am. He is much more reactive to my voice. I love when he is so excited that his eyes are wide open, his arms are stretched out with big movements, and legs are kicking.



Noting all of these behaviors is fun. I have to cherish them because they will soon be gone. One of my favorites is when he shakes his head real fast with hismouth open to try to catch the bottle or the pacifier. This same behavior was very frustrating when I tried to breastfeed but now I find it quite amusing.

No comments: