Thursday, August 13, 2009

A perfect day with Gavin

I felt like super woman today. I managed to have the most productive day that I can remember since Gavin was born. The best thing is that I managed to do it all WITH Gavin and all around his schedule! Gavin let me sleep in until 8a.m. During his morning nap, I managed to do two loads of laundry, clean my bathroom, organize all of my coupons from this week, and have lunch. Once he got up we went shopping to Target where I put him in the Bjorn and he just could not have been happier. It's really fun to shop with him in the Bjorn because 1. he does not whine at all, he's too busy checking everything out, 2. he thinks everything I pick up is for him and his arms reach for everything, 3. everyone says hello to us. It's really interesting how a baby makes people break the ice with total strangers. I didn't care for this at first but now I find it cute. We came back home just in time for his 2nd nap time. I did feed him baby food today. He had carrots for the first time.
Update on food allergies: It seems it's not the food that Gavin is allergic to, it's the quilty sheet on his crib at my mom's house. We figured this out yesterday when I visited my mom, fed Gavin his usual cereal and put him down for a nap. When I checked on him I noticed his face was red just as before. The common denominator is the sheet. The weird thing is that this sheet is not new. It's the same sheet that my mom has used since the beginning and the detergent has not been changed. We checked the sheet and it's not 100% cotton, it has some polyester in it. Again, strange since polyester is not a baby safe fabric. We got rid of the sheet and are now free to try new foods! :)

Ok, let's get back to today's carrots. The first bite was priceless. I thought he was going to cry but then he swallowed and opened wide. We've started signing to Gavin in hopes that he'll pick up some communication skills other than crying/whining. He hasn't quite picked up the sign for more, instead he just opens wide which I guess is a sign it's just not a hand sign. He managed to eat every little bit and without much of a mess which I liked. He is getting so much better at swallowing without wasting any food. During his afternoon nap, I managed to get a head start on my readings for the first week of class.
I am really looking forward to the weekday that I'll be spending with Gavin alone once school starts again. The current plan is for my mom to take care of Gavin Monday-Wednesday, Nick will stay with him on Thursdays so I can go to campus all day and I will stay with Gavin on Fridays so Nick can go to campus all day. We'll plan on saving weekends for family time. That's the plan- we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

Looks like Gavin loved his carrots. I am sure that first NEW bite of something is sometimes a shock, but I think he'll like most everything. Glad you narrowed down the problem with the rash. Thanks for sharing the carrot meal.

Love,
Mary-Mom