This week I had my 16 week check-up and all is good. Prior to this appointment I was feeling a little anxiety about the pregnancy but I do feel better since I got to hear the heartbeat again. Although I don't think it will go completely away until the next ultrasound (or maybe until the baby is born, I'm not sure). I was told that I would get a Rx for the ultrasound at this appointment so I got really excited because I thought that meant that I would find out the sex of the baby this week. She did give me the order but told me to wait until 18 weeks so that I would definitely be able to see the sex...so I was slightly disappointed.
I do have a great pregnancy "support group" that has formed at the Soc dept at UCF since there are 4 of us that are pregnant- 2 other cohort members and a professor. We had our first "meeting" this week and it was good. They are all first-time moms. I did tell Nick that they may end up kicking me out of the group because they are definitely not as anxious or worried as I am. Maybe I read too much but I freak out about everything. So, I will do my best to keep my mouth shut so as not to pass on the worry to them. I am glad I had Gavin when I was out of grad school and was able to read as much as I did though. This time around I do not have the time to dedicate to any readings outside of my coursework.
I definitely feel movement now- I can't say that I feel it everyday but I have felt it enough times that I know it's definitely not digestion related. So, that's exciting.
I have gotten a lot of questions, or should I say people questioning my choice, about the birthing center and midwife care. I will just say that at this point, I am satisfied with my choice. I am not married to the idea that I have to give birth at the center so if at any time I freak out or something comes up that makes me feel insecure about the birthing center then I will switch. But up until this point I feel good about it and the pre-natal care has been great. I have to keep a food diary so that the midwives can see what I'm eating- or what I'm feeding the baby- and that has held me accountable to making better food choices. It's amazing how seeing what you eat on paper makes a difference. I still struggle with fruit---you would think that would not be difficult but I don't like to eat fruit so smoothies have been the only way to squeeze them into the diet.
My wardrobe is officially all maternity clothes now. Last weekend, I switched out my closet. Now all the stuff that I will not fit into for the next 2 years is stored away and only maternity clothes and "transition" wear (the stuff I wore after I had Gavin) are out. I feel much better seeing all of the clothes that I DO fit into rather than all the stuff that I can't.
On a related side note about wardrobe: 2 weeks ago I went to see Alicia Silverstone (actress from "Clueless") speak at UCF about veganism and the environment. She is 7.5 months pregnant and she was giving advice to the students on how to conserve, re-use, recycle and all that good stuff when she mentioned that she rarely buys anything new. She stood up and said my dress, my jacket and shoes were bought at consignment shops or craigslist. Before then, I had not considered buying clothes on craigslist. I gave it a shot this week- searched for maternity jeans since I am looking for trendier jeans than what I have and capris. I found someone in Winter Park selling exactly what I have been looking for. I picked them up today, 5 pairs of jeans for $25! Jackpot. They are in excellent condition and they are super cute. The young woman who sold them to me said, "and you don't even know the ones that I threw out"....I still cannot believe that people throw out perfectly good things. It pains me, literally, to hear those words. She also had tons of girl baby clothes so I'll be emailing her to let her know about the consignment shops in her area so next time she thinks about it before throwing it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment