Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Liam's 2nd Pediatrician Appointment

Today we tried out a new pediatrician (new practice altogether) and we had a great visit.
This doctor was much more thorough and went through the "checklist" that I expected.
Liam now weighs 6 lbs. 14 oz. so he has not gained as much weight as I had hoped.  The doc said by now they would like to see him back up to his birth weight and he is very close (only 3 oz away).  She did not automatically tell me to give him formula to bring his weight up so that's a good sign to me.  Instead she asked me about our feedings and how I feel afterwards.  I have a really hard time knowing whether he has emptied the breast completely.  I feel relief but I can't tell when it's completely empty and since I was afraid to switch often and Liam not getting enough hindmilk, I have been sticking to one boob at a time.  So, she gave me some suggestions to try and see if it gets better.  However, I only have 2 days to bring his weight up....our next appointment is Friday.  She wants to see if he gains any more weight by Friday.

We did also confirm what Kaleen had originally "diagnosed" and Liam is tongue-tied.  So, this could also be affecting feedings.  This may be why he had a bad latch those first few days and why he hurt me so bad.  I think he has as good a latch as he can right now.  I still can't say that it's "pain-less" but once he latches it's ok.  It only hurts when he first latches on but overall I feel much better.  On Friday, they'll give us a referral for an ENT doctor to fix the tongue-tied problem.

I'm struggling with the circumcision decision.  This pediatrician doesn't do it in the office so they would have to refer out to a urologist to do it.  The more time that passes the guiltier I feel and the more afraid I am that something will go wrong.  I just keep thinking how this is an irreversible procedure that is unnecessary and so if anything goes wrong the guilt will just overwhelm me.  But then I think of raising two boys and them not having comparable "packages" and that being a big issue later in life so I have to do it.

The doctor checked out Liam's belly button since I was concerned after it fell off that it still looked a little raw to me.  It's all normal and she gave the all clear for bath time.  This doctor did not even bring up vaccines at this time so that was another good sign for me.

That's all for now.  Let's hope Liam eats like a champ for the next two days and his weight comes back up.  :)  

No comments: