Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nick's Graduation

Yesterday, we made a family field trip to UCF for the commencement ceremony.  This was our first car ride as a family of four.  I packed the car baby mirror (the one above the car seat), it's now in SC so I had to rely on Gavin for updates.  He did pretty good.  He would tell me if Liam's eyes were closed or if his head was back or leaning forward.  Gavin also did not ask for any of his usual car toys which was good.  We took away everything from the car because we were afraid Gavin would throw something and accidentally hit Liam.  Instead we gave Gavin a plush McQueen car that's Liam's and asked him to hold it for Liam-which he did for about 3/4 of the ride.  They both did really well in the car and throughout the day.  It was a long day for Gavin.  The ceremony started at 2pm which is normally nap time for him so we had to pull every trick in the bag to keep him occupied and stable until the end.

Liam was scheduled to wake up around 2:30pm for a feeding which I knew would coincide with the time when the doctoral students would be hooded.  He had perfect timing.  As soon as they asked the first row of doctoral students to stand, he let out a little cry.  Luckily, I picked him up and held him and he actually slept for another hour.  I finally had to wake him up because he'd gone on 4 hours without a feeding and I didn't want to pay for that later that night.  Side note:  The breastfeeding part is really convenient at home when I don't have to prepare or clean a bottle but it is so inconvenient when we have somewhere to be.  We needed to be out of the house by 11:30am and of course, Liam woke up at 11:10am wanting to feed so we didn't leave until 11:45am.  But, he made it up by pooping at the house rather than while we were out. :)

Here are some pics from the day:
long walk to the Arena

Cooling off at the doctoral entrance with Grandma

VIP Reserved Seating :)  Love whoever gave us aisle seats.  With two kiddos, it was priceless! 

We found Nick in the crowd

Nick about to be hooded by Dr. Patricia Bishop- Dean of Graduate Studies.  Behind Nick is Dr. Liz Grauerholz (Aunt Liz to Gavin), his committee chair and advisor

Hooding Nick

Post hooding hug for Liz

Walking off stage to pick up ACTUAL doctoral diploma.  Doctoral degrees are confirmed so far in advance that you actually get your degree on the day of graduation. :)

Abuela trying to keep Gavin entertained


"Daddy!"...Gavin was asking to see his daddy all through the ceremony.  Then all of a sudden Nick walks through these curtains and surprises Gavin. :) 


Family Portrait--- It wasn't until I saw these family pics that it hit me.  We are now a family of FOUR!  

The proud parents

VIP Entrance indeed.  They gave us the VIP treatment by allowing us to go through the VIP elevator and skipping the lines outside in the heat, the security and bag checks.  I was so grateful they also let me keep the stroller since I later noticed, everyone else (non-doctoral) had to fold it to come inside. :)  


the proud wife

Our beautiful family. :) 

1 comment:

Nick said...

Thanks for posting all of these pics Steph. It's always nice to hear you talk about our family...and I'm happy to hear how proud you are of me:)