Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Liam is 6 months old (and a couple of weeks now)

[Note: I started writing this 2 weeks ago so I've updated as needed]
Our little Liam is now 6 months old.  I estimate he weighs about 18 pounds now (weighing myself with him and without him).  He now "talks" more.  Same sound just more often.  He says "ta-ta" and "da-da" (just a sound, not referring to his daddy at all at this point).  He can also balance himself in a sitting position and play with his toys.  He will still fall over if he tries to reach for something further away but he does pretty good in a sitting position.  We still don't have a consistent food schedule.  So far, I give him solids about every other day so as not to overload his GI system.  I've pretty much stuck to pears, apples, sweet potatoes, carrots and avocado.  I do plan to introduce more green stuff to his diet so he doesn't get too used to the sweet stuff.  He ate the avocado without any reactions.  His face did not light up like when he eats pears or apples but he ate it all.  I even had the video camera ready anticipating a funny face when he tried it but he didn't make any extraordinary expressions.
Update:  He did not like peas!  He ate a couple of bites and then gave up.  I haven't tried any other greens.

Re the night schedule...no, he does not sleep through the night.  He does sleep for a 3 hour stretch when he first goes down between 7-8pm but then he wakes up and after that he still wakes up about every 2 hours, sometimes more often.  I feed him every time.  I haven't considered otherwise.  I may reconsider this soon.  When we go back to SC, Liam will be in his own room and hopefully that will make him sleep a bit longer.  I've heard that babies do better when they're away from mom because they can smell the milk and that makes him wake up more often [I can hear "crunchier" moms telling me this makes no sense. I know. It doesn't make sense but his irrational sleep schedule makes me consider illogical thoughts].  At this point I think he should be able to go 6 hours without food- at least I vaguely remember Gavin's ped telling me that at some point around this age.  I will be trying out whether giving him a full dinner- solids and milk- will help with this.

Update:  Yesterday I stuffed Liam all day-  gave him as much solids (sweet potato) as he wanted for lunch and dinner. I even topped him off right before bed at 7pm.  Then nursed him.  He finally fell asleep around 8pm....and then he was up again at 11:15pm. WTH?!? I nursed him although he did not nurse for very long at all so it seemed like a waste of a wake-up.  I thought maybe I should've just let him cry it out a little because it seemed like he could've done without it and was probably just waking up out of routine.  But from then he slept until 4:15pm! YES!!!  I was still tired but I couldn't believe it.  I got a 5 hour stretch of sleep.  Then he slept until around 7:30am.  I'm feeding him more solids from now on to see if this can become a norm.

I know this is not a "happy" Liam video but I find it so darn cute!  I took this video on our way back to SC.  I was sitting in the back seat in between both boys.  I love when he pouts- not really but I think his face is precious! :)

1 comment:

Cara said...

You know what I just realized? 6 month growth spurt. We just started it two nights ago, up every 2 hours again. Sigh. Let's hope they get over it soon.