Friday, February 17, 2012

A Special Library Story Time- Pizza Day

I was looking forward to taking Gavin to the library story time to continue our routine from before.  Each week there's a theme.  On Wednesday, the board said "Welcome to Pizza Day" and the room was decorated like a pizza restaurant.  Ms. Cheryl- the teacher- had songs and activities related to making pizza and read a book about a group of guys who went to Italy to compete in a dough spinning/trick championship.  She had all kinds of props that brought the book to life.  She was reading about how the group had to think of something extraordinary to win the competition and decided to do their tricks while riding a unicycle.....then to our surprise a guy comes through the double doors of the library storytime room riding a unicycle and spinning pizza dough on his hands. It was so cool!  Gavin was sitting front row and I was in the back with Liam.  As soon as Gavin saw the guy doing the tricks, he looked back at me with the biggest smile on his face.  I was so captivated by the tricks that I forgot to take video of it.  This is an example of a time that I was very happy I upgraded to an iPhone so I always have a camera on hand...so at least I remembered to capture a few shots.    
When the guy, named Siler, was done showing off his skills he handed dough to the kids and taught them to spin it and how to knead the dough into a ball.
Then to top everything off, pizza was delivered and we all had pizza from the local pizza shop.
Turns out the book is a true story.  Siler really did go to Italy to compete and won.  And he is the owner of the local pizza shop that provided the pizza.  Very cool.  We bought the book and had it signed and dedicated to Gavin and Liam.  
This is such smart marketing for the pizza shop.  I have driven by this shop every time I leave the house and never thought to buy pizza there.  But of course, now that we know the story, the owner, and sampled the pizza, we will buy from there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grest! Events like this makes life good. Especially when unplanned things happen. something to remember with every future pizza bite.
G-Pa

Anonymous said...

Great! Maybe you should send this story to the library by your moms house? Thanks Mary-Mom