Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Dear Gavin...

I can't even begin to describe what an honor and pleasure it is to be your mom.  Today you are 3 years old.  While I have enjoyed every stage of your life thus far, I think this is the most fun.  We have great conversations.  You ask a lot of questions and your logic is impeccable.  You also have an amazing memory and do not forget anything.  This makes you a great helper to me.  If I don't remember something, I just ask you and you can recall.  You know where all your toys came from and who gave them to you and when.
You are a fast learner and are eager to learn.  You learned all 50 states by us doing a puzzle (over and over!). You can identify the name, shape of the state and even what the state is known for because you can remember each picture on the puzzle.  You know the name of every car you own.  You are starting to use your imagination more and more when you play by yourself.  I hear you talking to your cars and your trains in different voices and thinking of a "scene" for them to play out.  Your favorite TV show is still "Little Einsteins".  You can recall the name of the Little Einsteins episode just by listening to the classical song that was featured on the episode.  You like to listen to classical music.  I play it in the car because you enjoy it (and for a little peace and quiet).  It works because you share with us which Little Einsteins episode it comes from, and you listen for which instruments are being played.  Your current favorites are the string instruments (but you're also able to identify percussion, woodwinds and brass).  You are very into maps and flags at the moment.  You currently have 8 different country flags displayed in your room- US, Mexico, Morocco, Japan, China, France, Canada, and the United Kingdom.  We got these while visiting the World Showcase at Epcot- your favorite Disney theme park (and we'll surely get the remaining 3 or 4 this summer).

You are so friendly and get attached to people quickly (and they get equally attached to you).  You always ask people their name and once they tell you, you call them by their name as if you've known them your whole life.  You already seem to understand the importance of family.  If daddy is away, you're quick to say "I miss daddy," and if I'm away you often tell daddy the same thing about me.  You love your grandparents, as well as all other family and you often ask "can we go to Florida today" so that you can spend time with them.  You started art class and sports class 2 weeks ago and you already tell me "I miss my friends" when it's not class day.  For the most part you know you are a "big boy" and act accordingly.  You often say "I can do it myself--I have a big boy bed."  You are an excellent driver--you love driving your Jeep at "la finca" and your Lightning McQueen here in South Carolina.  You also love to go to the playground...Liam laughs like crazy watching you play, particularly when you use the slide.  You love your breakfast, but you're not always a big fan of lunch and dinner.  It's not unusual for you to ask for oatmeal at all hours of the day.  You love snack--all kinds of snacks.  It's funny how as soon as we get in the car you call out "Mama, can I have a snack," and then you negotiate to get the best snacks.  You really enjoy playing in your backyard and you appreciate being outdoors altogether.

You've also started throwing bigger fits when you don't get your way.  I used to be able to talk you through them and you would calm down quickly.  Lately, it's not quite as simple.  When those happen I can only walk away and let you self-sooth because there is no calming you.  I do have to thank you for not ever doing these in public (as I knock on wood).  You know how to make me smile.  You often ask me the same thing I ask you, "show me a happy face" when you think I am upset.   You're starting to talk like a big boy saying things like "c'mon, it's going to be fun" when you want us to follow you to do something, or "that's awesome", "it's so cool" when you see something new you like.  You are also a good big brother.  While most of the time you don't look to play with Liam, you drop whatever you are doing if I ask you to do something for Liam.  You also respect his quiet time.  You are always talking but if I tell you Liam is sleeping then you know to be quiet....although sometimes you don't stop saying "we can't talk because Liam is sleeping" which defeats the purpose. :)

Hey Gavin, it's daddy. Your mom wrote most of this message, but I added in some stuff as well.  I am equally proud of you and so happy to have you as a son. It brings me so much joy to interact with you and see you grow.  I look forward to every day that we spend together.  Please know that you are our priority.  In fact, part of the reason that we chose to be college professors is so that we would have the flexibility and the freedom to dedicate our time to you, Liam, and the family as a whole.

2 comments:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

How Nice. One day Gavin will read this tribute to him and know just how much he is loved. Love Mary-Mom

JR said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your son's 3rd birthday. A treasure.