Liam
* We're so sad because "Ligag" is now Liam. Liam used to call himself Ligag- because he couldn't pronounce his name correctly but as of Tuesday he is Liam all the time. I'm so upset because I don't think I ever caught the "Ligag" on video. :( He still calls Gavin, "Gagin"
* Liam is speaking in full sentences pretty much all the time. He knows so much Spanish too! I'm so impressed with how well he translates when I ask him too. It seems as if every day he wakes up and has a new word or phrase to show off.
* Liam is the sweetest boy I've ever met. He is so loving and nurturing with all of us. He fights with Gavin, of course, but he's quick to apologize and hug. He looks after Ellie and continues to surprise me with his maturity at times. He is a ray of sunshine!
Ellie
| Ellie, 9.5 months |
*Ellie is now crawling everywhere and pulling herself up on everything she can. It's funny how I thought she was behind for 9 months and then within a few days of her pediatrician appointment she started crawling and pulling up so she's all caught up now.
*She eats everything. She eats a lot of table food and can chew it up really well. She's got 2 teeth coming out (bottom) but they're not all out yet. She's had pasta (brown rice pasta is softer so we do that a lot), mixed vegetables, broccoli, blueberries, oatmeal, LOVES pancakes, squash, and much of the dinner foods I make.
* We just found out this week that Ellie is allergic to dairy. I suspected this after an incident where my mom made her oatmeal for breakfast with cow's milk. I didn't even think about it until we saw her immediate reaction. Her face turned red and blotchy immediately. She later projectile vomited. I mentioned it to the pediatrician and they did a blood test to confirm and it's confirmed. In hindsight, I realized that this is probably why she would always throw up her baby cereal- I only fed it to her twice and she threw up both times but I thought it was because she didn't like it. Looking at the box now, I noticed it contains dairy. In our household, this is not a bad allergy to handle since we only use almond or coconut milk already. The only dairy I keep in the house is cheese. I do have to make a conscious effort when we are out and about because I'm not used to thinking about it yet. Today we ate at an Indian restaurant and I fed Ellie some naan bread with a coconut chutney dipping sauce---didn't occur to me that it may contain dairy. Luckily, it did NOT but I only thought about it until after the fact so I have to get used to thinking about the allergy and asking questions before feeding her.
Gavin
Gavin is doing really well at school and at home. His behavior has improved vastly and we rarely feel that "out of control" feeling Nick and I used to feel when disciplining him. We've both been better about positive reinforcement and making him feel like he is a contributor to the family. He is a bit competitive with Liam and because Liam is at the "helping stage", it's actually made it easier to have Gavin be a better helper around the house. They both fight over chores! ...but Gavin is getting pretty good about offering a compromise quickly.
I have been a lot more diligent about talking in Spanish at the house to the kids and in the past couple of weeks I've been making Gavin talk to me in Spanish. He still will not do it unprompted but when asked to, he does translate or speak in Spanish. He has a lot of vocabulary but he has trouble putting sentences together. In the clip below, he was watching the cartoon Super Why and there was a girl that wanted to climb a mountain so she could touch the stars. I asked Gavin to explain to me in Spanish what was happening and after thinking about it long and hard he came up with a sentence. The video is me asking him to repeat it. He didn't conjugate verbs properly and it's not perfect but that doesn't matter because he communicated the point and I'm so proud!
No comments:
Post a Comment