Thursday, October 17, 2013

The debate over Ellie's middle name

For the past 6 months I have been debating Ellie's middle name.  Her full name is Ellison Jovie.  However, the middle name never flowed for me.  At around 3-4 months of age, I started calling her Ellison Reese anytime I "middle named" her.  In fact, I do it so often that Gavin believes Ellie's middle name is actually Reese and not Jovie and "corrected" her pediatrician when she said Ellison Jovie.  In the state of FL you are allowed to change the baby's name anytime during the first year so Nick and I have been talking about having it changed to Reese officially.

About 2 months ago I printed out the birth certificate name change form and filled it out.  I've been carrying it in my purse for about a month and just couldn't bring myself to mail it in.  I felt guilty over changing her name from Jovie-- the name that Nick chose, the name that has meaning to us-- to Reese...a random name I like and has no meaning at all.  There's a story behind all of the names, first and middle, we chose for the kids and Reese would not have a story other than it's the name that I liked.

I asked Nick almost a hundred times how we felt about it and his logic was that Reese goes with Ellie and Ellison, whereas Jovie doesn't go with Ellie, only with Ellison.  So he agreed to the change.

But, on the day I set out to mail the form, I thought about it some more.  Looked up the meaning of Jovie and looked up the meaning of Reese.  I asked Nick again if he was 100% sure and he said, "well, which name fits her best?" and that's when I said, "well, that's the thing. Jovie means joyful and she is an absolute joy." Then Nick responded, "well, then that's it. We gotta keep it" and I agreed.  So, even though it doesn't flow as easily as a one syllable name, it does fit her personality so we're not changing it.  When we told Gavin, he said "but I like Reese better" and we explained why we're keeping the name and then he said, "that's ok, I'll just call her Reese anyway" and that's ok with us.  They all have special "secret" names that we use for them so maybe that will be Ellie's.    

P.S. In case you're wondering, Reese means "running".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a day! Yes, a camcorder is a must, but afraid you will have to wear it around your neck at all times:). We are working hard to be there with you all Thanksgiving. PLAYTIME:)
Love
Mary-mom