Friday, August 14, 2015

Dear 4 year old Liam,

You have looked forward to this birthday for months. Several times you've told us, "when I'm a big boy and am 4, I'll do....." (the latest proposed milestone was to ride Splash Mountain but later you changed your mind and said you'll do it when you're 5). This is a milestone birthday for you because for you it truly means you're a big boy.

We've seen you mature especially in the past few weeks. Your language and logic is more advanced than before and it's really cool to listen to your thoughts. You make connections that surprise us all the time. You have a great memory and are very observant. For example, when I took you to the Polynesian Resort to go to Magic Kingdom, I forgot where I parked and without hesitation you said, "Mom, you parked in H". Sure enough, when I went to the H parking aisle, our car was parked right under the pole marked H. You said, "I saw it when you parked."

You are the most sensitive, caring and affectionate child in our family. You say "I love you" often and hug us constantly. I hope you continue to be like this as you get older. You see the good in people and in situations. I often say you are my unpredictable child and there are still remnants of that but you are maturing and we're starting to figure each other out more. You give so much love and need to feel as much in return.

You ARE quirky and we adore you to pieces for that. You are still semi-obsessed with vents, fans, fire alarms, and other "electronic" things like automatic hand dryers. In fact, this year when we asked what you wanted for your birthday you said that you didn't want to tell us because you wanted your gifts to be a surprise. Then later you said you wanted an automatic hand dryer and one with a button. Last year you were ridiculously afraid of hand dryers to the point that you wouldn't use a public bathroom if it had an automatic hand dryer (or toilet for that matter) and now you love them and love to share with anyone who will listen that you are not afraid of them anymore Although we still have to cover up the sensor on automatic toilet with a sticker or wet paper towel. I hope next year you don't ask for an automatic toilet when you're over this fear.

You ask lots of questions and want to know how everything works. You love to play with Legos and don't need instructions. You are a "master builder" and are proud of it. Even when you say you're following the instructions you always put your Liam spin into it and make it your own. You've built some impressive vehicles.

You are becoming more independent and have been able to do your "morning steps" without us having to remind you of them. You don't need me to pick out your clothes. You get your own clothes and you try your best to match and most times you do match. Then there are other days that are questionable but you rock the outfits anyway, and we go out in public because I can see how proud you are that you did it yourself and that's all that matters.

Lately you've taken an interest in learning more Spanish. We do the bilingual books at night and you concentrate on the words and have started speaking more Spanish on your own without us prompting you. This makes me so happy and proud.

This year we were going to change schools for you but you were adamantly opposed to the new school and teacher. It's a good thing that we did have a choice this time and we were able to keep you at the same school but with a new teacher.

I can tell that you're maturing and growing up because you're more self-aware. You now can tell us and yourself, "I'm not going to freak out". We started labeling your phobias as "freak-out" moments and talked you through them. Now you've started to notice when you might feel out of control and talk yourself through them like when we're about to go on an elevator, you'll tell us, "Mama, I'm not going to freak out" and although you hold my hand super tight the entire ride, you haven't been freaking out. There are still moments like when we go on a ride you're unsure of that you have small "freak out" moment and you HAVE to be the first one to get out but overall these types of moments and behaviors have decreased significantly in the last few months. I'm sure that you feel better about this and we feel better about it also.

We are so looking forward to this year with you. We can't wait to see you grow and expand your horizons in pre-K. You are growing up and we're enjoying every minute of it....not because we want you to grow up because I love little Liam but it is so amazing to watch as you discover new things and learn how to maneuver this big world. We can see your personality blossom and it is exciting. Like I said, you are the sweetest, most caring little boy and we just "love you infinity."

Happy 4th Birthday Liam!
Love,
Mama and Daddy

No comments: