I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the outside of the center but it looks like a cabin in the woods.
Right by the entrance, they had this mural and trees that captivated the kids with all the "hidden" animals. There were camouflaged flaps along the mural that the kids could lift to see the animals that live there.
After exploring the inside of the center, we went on a hike to the "cave". They told us it wasn't a big cave but that the kids would love it. Gavin loved it. Liam and Ellie were apprehensive after having just visiting the center which had exhibits showing all the snakes and critters that live in caves. Eventually, they all went inside the cave. It's the only cave in Kane County!
| The brave one |
| Liam made it out quickly |
| Ellie sticking her foot down saying she's not going in the cave....but smirking b/c I know she knows she's dramatic |
| Nick explaining to the kids how they can tell where the deep parts of the river are |
| Ellie decided she wanted to go in the cave WITH daddy |
| Beautiful tree lined trails everywhere |
The kids got to watch the staff feed these turtles live worms. I didn't realize turtles could eat entire worms in one piece. This feeding session wasn't bad, but when the staff came out to feed the snakes behind us, I had to manage my facial appearance so as not to traumatize the children. The kids didn't seem to mind watching little frozen mice being placed as a buffet for the snakes. I was completely grossed out. I don't know how they processed that part but they didn't really question it or had any strong emotions about it. I'm not sure what to make of that.
In front of the nature center, there is a railroad track and we got to watch the train go by as we were on our way out. Ellie clearly thought the train was too loud.
This was a great little morning outing and best of all FREE! The nature center is part of the county Parks & Rec department and it is free to everyone which is fantastic. We'll go back for sure. There are still 3 or 4 trails that we didn't get to explore AND there's one trail that leads to another park with a great playground that we'll do next time.
1 comment:
Wow, what a great start to Liam's birthday weekend. So much fun and things to see.
Love,
Mary-mom
Post a Comment