During the Christmas break, Nick and I forgot to put our trash on the curb for a couple of weeks in a row. The piles of trash accumulated in our garage until we both made a commitment to set an alarm so that we would not forget to put it out. I looked at the pile and thought about the amount of trash we created...and that was just our family, for two weeks....wow! We are big recyclers so the piles were just trash...not recyclables.
So, one of my goals is to think of ways to reduce the amount of trash we dispose of. I will have to get creative on some things, recycle things for other uses rather than throwing them out.
I will try to blog about my progress or challenges. These are my first goals:
1. Make my own cleaning products. I've been meaning to do this ever since Gavin was born but then I got caught up in the couponing and getting stuff so cheap that I forgot the original purpose of this goal. Gavin chews/licks everything and I want to have a fairly non-toxic house so I really want to start using natural cleaners (vinegar, lemon, baking soda, etc.). PLUS, I plan to use a re-usable spray bottle which means that I can reduce the amount of trash AND the amount of toxic liquids that go into our water supply and landfills!
2. Eliminate the use of paper towels. It's something small. I know it doesn't take that much trash space but it adds up over time. I'm not sure that I'll be able to go 100% without them but I can reduce their use significantly.
3. Not ask for take-out containers if we go out to eat. The styrofoam takes up a lot of room and it is not recyclable in our area. Alternatively, I could take my own gladware but that may require planning time that I may not remember. I know someone who carries a small tupperware container in her purse and takes it in to McDonald's and they have no problem putting her sandwich in her tupperware. We'll see how this one goes!
4. Continue to use reusable bags when shopping. I have to get better about using the reusable bags outside of the grocery store. I always remember them when I go to Publix and Target but I should also take them when I do other kind of shopping.
Can you think of anything else that's simple that I should add to my list???? I'm heading over to my mom's to start a vegetable garden. I'm SO excited about it. Hopefully I'll have pictures to share.
1 comment:
Our pastor mentioned this same thing the same night that you wrote this! I love the papertowel idea, I hadn't thought of that! Is Gavin potty trained yet? Could you switch to cloth diapers (or are you already doing them?) I have a friend who is going cloth, she recommends not using them for newborns but that you can as the child gets older because they "go" less.
Post a Comment