However, towards the end of last year- especially around the holidays- I did get the sense that I was spending more than I should have because I had coupons. This is what Nick calls the "negative coupons". I broke one of the cardinal rules, don't buy something you don't need just because you have a coupon for it (e.g. can you say candles???). If I don't need it then it's better to let the coupon go to waste than to spend money however small the amount may be (even $.50 items start adding up). So I hope to stick to the free items and stuff that I really will need.
Anyhow, I now have a (yet another) spreadsheet that I hope will help me stay on track and not spend unnecessarily. I am afraid to report that I didn't do as well as I had hoped for this month. I spent about $100 more than I expected thanks to the Target after-Christmas toy clearance. So if I take the stuff that I bought Gavin out of the equation I did well but that's not the way it works. I did manage to save 48.94% of the total month purchases (includes toys, cleaning products, groceries, baby food, formula, personal hygiene stuff, newspapers). My mental goal is to save at least 50% so I wasn't too off the mark but I know I can do better. On a positive note, I did buy Gavin's birthday gifts at great prices and because I stocked up on lunch stuff we didn't spend nearly as much as we regularly do on eating out this month so it balances out at the end.
I post this so that again I feel accountable to do as I intend to do. If I have to "report" how I'm doing then I am much more likely to do the right thing and ask "do I really need this?" before I purchase it. I hope that next month we'll be much better since I do have $15 in Target gift cards (from their buy "x" get $5 gift card offers) and $24 in CVS Extra Care Bucks so that should subsidize quite a bit in February. Wish me luck! :)
1 comment:
I think that is great. I do know what you mean as to how hard it is to walk away from nearly free stuff even though you don't need it. Is this what "stratification" means?
Keep up the good work!
Love,
Mary-Mom
Post a Comment