Sunday, January 17, 2010

Healthy Meals for Gavin

So I did a quick Google search for healthy foods/meal ideas for toddlers because I'm running out of ideas for what to give Gavin that is healthy. I still cook separately for him because well, let's face it Nick and I don't eat very healthy and so I don't want him to get into those habits (just yet). Plus, I'm still scared to give him certain foods because I'm afraid he will choke. For example, I haven't given him any fruit chunks but he does eat peas with the skin.
I was flabbergasted at the results of my search. Since when did chicken nuggets, fried fish sticks and macaroni and cheese make the "healthy" food list?!?!? This is what I see kids eat all the time but I was trying to think of other things to give him.
I did find some ideas for non-processed healthy meals. I was hoping to get some ideas on finger foods in particular. He loves eating on his own but I don't think either of us are ready for pasta meals on his own! :)

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

Don't know if he can eat some of these ideas, but they are foods healthy for you and for Gavin. Make your own meatballs from groundpork, chicken and beef. Process veggies with the meat...squash, carrots, peppers, onions, rutabagas, anything. If you feel you need somekind of sauce make your own from tomatoes, can or fresh. Make your own mac and cheese and use less of everything. Steamed broccoli and califlower is a good way he can eat it his self. Just use the flower ends. I think Gavin could eat shreaded beef cooked in the crock pot. Many meats are so soft then just put tiny shreads on his plate. Turkey, pork and beef roasts would work great. Just watch your flavorings, but flavorings would be needed. Chunky homemade veggie stew I believe he could eat too. That's all I have at the moment.
Love,
Mary-Mom