Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 2 of SC

Today didn't start out so well.  We drove around a lot trying to learn more about Lancaster.  Yesterday we mostly spent the day in the north part of the county so we just wanted to explore the area around the university more.  After talking to the Inn keeper he convinced us to give Lancaster a shot and gave us some suggestions for areas to look at.  He had good suggestions except that there were no rental homes in the areas he recommended (or elsewhere in Lancaster).

We did get a call that our application for the home we saw yesterday was approved so we're pretty happy about that.  When we got back last night, I got a bit anxious about it and didn't know if it was the right choice for us but after looking further today and doing more searches online, we realized it is the best choice for our family and we're happy with our decision.

Nick's new boss offered to take us out to dinner tonight so we met with him and his wife and had a great dinner.  We wondered how it would go- we knew the size of my belly would open up a conversation but more importantly we knew at some point the question of what I did for a living would come up and it did fairly quickly.  Nick and I are really happy about his reaction.  He asked me to send him a CV and my transcripts asap so he can get me approved to adjunct!!!! YAY!!!!  This is just what we wanted.  I don't want to adjunct in the fall semester since I need to get used to having two kids and get a routine going PLUS collect my data-- but I'll be ready to teach a class or two in the Spring.  Better yet, he told me about all the couples that work at the university who started off just like us, one was hired full-time, the other started adjuncting and then became full-time tenure track professors so this is looking pretty promising if we end up liking it here.
He also did not give us any grief about looking outside of Lancaster for a home, he even recommended the area where the new house is and said the school districts were really good there (which I had read online).

We really miss Gavin now.  We wonder how he will react to this move.  I'm not sure how his mind will process it but we will make sure to get his room and toys settled first so that he doesn't feel like he is away from "home" until he grasps the reality that we have a new home.

No comments: