Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Perfect Day with Gavin

I have been watching Oprah's Lifeclass show and it's really helped me be aware of areas in my life that I can improve.  I think I may do a separate post on that but a recent lesson on the show was "be responsible for the energy that you bring into a room" and it really resonated with me.  Since my teens I have believed that we are all energy and we have full control of the energy that we put out into the universe.  Put out positive energy and positive energy will be returned.  After watching the show I contemplated new ways that this applies to my life.  I am trying to think of everything in a positive way rather than put out any negativity.  So...how does this all relate to my perfect day with Gavin?  I have been referring to Tuesdays and Thursdays as my "long" days since these are the days that I'm with the kids alone the longest.  On Monday and Wednesday nights I would "dread" the next day a bit.  After thinking about this whole energy thing I realized that this is an area that I needed to put out positive energy about.  So, I proclaimed Thursday to be "Happy Day".  When Gavin woke up I told him it was "happy day".  When he cried when I tried to change his diaper, I told him "no crying today, today is happy day!  Show me your happy face" and he just stopped crying and smiled and told me "yeah, it's happy day!".
It was a beautiful day out so I got the boys ready and headed to the big park in downtown Fort Mill.  We were the only ones at the park for a while and so it was easy being with both kids because I didn't have to worry about Liam sleeping in the stroller (btw- I got a double stroller and I love it).  This park has a huge open field so Gavin and I got to play soccer for a bit too.  We played for a good two hours at the park.  On Tuesday I wanted to take Gavin for a haircut and ice cream afterwards since there's a shop next door but it rained all day so I couldn't leave the house (it's too much work to get kids out of the car in the rain).  I had mentioned to Gavin that after getting a haircut we could go for ice cream.  Well, since we were having such a good day I didn't want to come home after the park so we went on a lunch date.  I asked Gavin if he wanted to go get a haircut and he replied "yeah, haircut then ice cream".  He remembered so I had to follow through.

We're new in town so I didn't really know where to take him for a haircut but next to the supermarket where I shop I had seen a sign for "HoneyCuts: Haircuts for Men" so I went there.  Once I got there, I saw a poster on the window and it made me think that maybe they didn't do kids' haircuts and it was for adult men only.  I did not realize that this chain is like the haircut "Hooters". Not nearly as "flashy" (the uniform is conservative) but only pretty blonde women were on the poster on the window.  Having no idea of where else to go I decided to go in and ask if they did kids' haircuts and the woman at the desk was super nice and said they did kids all the time.  In fact, they even have "Dad & Son" haircut days where dad and sons get haircuts for a special price.  We had to wait since we didn't have an appointment but it wasn't bad since Liam fell asleep and one of the staff members was catering to Gavin.  What's funny is that here's this place "for men" and so there are plasma screens across the walls with sports channels/games on and Gavin asked to watch TV so they turned the lobby TV to Nick Jr!  There were a couple of other men waiting for their turn and they were forced to watch Nick Jr.
Funny story:  The front desk lady asked Gavin what he was going to be for Halloween and Gavin replied in his quiet voice "Lightning McQueen" but the lady only heard "Queen" so she replied "you're going to be a Queen!?!?!" with a funny look on her face and then looked at me.  

As usual Gavin talked to everyone who would listen.  He had the men waiting cracking up with his Cars trivia and stuff. When it was his turn, the stylist came up and said "Gavin, are you ready?" and he said "Oh, yeah!".  He did surprisingly well.  He remained still for the entire haircut, just not quiet.  
I told the stylist that no one had used clippers on him, only scissors so she made sure he knew everything she was using and was ok with it.  She let him feel the clippers and how they felt and asked if it was ok to use on his hair.  He approved.  Then when she switched to scissors and the conversation went like this:
Gavin:  what are you using now?
Stylist:  scissors
Gavin:  I have scissors.  My scissors are red and Momma's scissors are blue and Daddy's scissors are blue.  My scissors are red.  Hey, that fan is red.  Just like my scissors.  My scissors are red.  (Sometimes he sounds like Rainman)

He kept talking and talking but he was a really good boy.  The stylist let him pick a treat from a bowl of candy but I still kept my promise and we did go for ice cream next door.  Turns out it's a good thing I took him when I did because the ice cream shop closes on Monday for the season.  I guess not many people want ice cream in winter so they close down until Valentine's Day.
Mom- you will be happy to hear I bought him a kids' cup and let him eat most of it...even with color sprinkles.(I blocked the thoughts of food dyes...I didn't want to ruin happy day)  

I really want everyday to be happy day.  I really feel like he could read my energy and because I remained calm and positive all day (even when things didn't go right at the park or at Subway), Gavin stayed positive and happy all day.
When we got back home, I sat down and he came up to me and asked me to hold him.  He gave me a big hug and said, "Thank you for being me today".  I asked, "do you mean thank you for being WITH me today?" and he said "yeah, it's happy day".   A perfect day!

1 comment:

Christina and David said...

Love it! Have you ever heard of the book The Happiness Project? It is a great book. I highly recommend it.