Monday, October 8, 2012

Family Weekend

We started cleaning/clearing out in the kids' rooms on Friday.  I guess I have entered the nesting phase and the clutter was just getting to me.  The boys' rooms were organized and so they didn't look clutter but I just knew there was stuff that we could get rid of.  The cars collection is so overwhelming to me but I know that Gavin keeps a close inventory of it and it will be hard to get rid of any cars so we just left that alone.  I recently read a Montessori blog that gave good tips as to what to do at home to inspire imagination and have an environment conducive to learning.  And the main thing was to not have too many toys or books out at once so that the kids can focus on a few toys.  This encourages imagination and plus they'll appreciate all of their toys.  When I looked at the bookshelf in Gavin's room, again, overwhelming.  But now the room looks great.  We took out most of the books and placed them in a box so that we can rotate them out every week.  I think Gavin liked this idea too.  We reorganized the furniture in the room and now it flows a lot better and it looks like a big boy room with play areas.  When he walked in after the transformation, he said "ooh, I like my new room."
We started working on Liam's room too.  I want to transition his room from baby's room to toddler boy.  At the moment, we no longer have a "guest room."  For some reason I had not thought about where I would put the baby's clothes and other stuff.  We still had everything stored in plastic bins in Liam's closet.  I was so protective of the guest room but when I thought about it....we haven't had any guests.  So, it doesn't make sense to make the boys' closets cramped with baby stuff when we could makeover the guest room to be the new baby's room.  When we come back from the holidays, I'd like to get a daybed in that room in case our parents visit sometime, but for now we took the queen size bed out and moved the rocking chair, changing table and other baby stuff in there.
The mattress that was on the guest bed is our old foam mattress that I'd be embarrassed to have someone sleep on because it has permanent dents on each of our sleeping sides.  It's the worst mattress ever and we've been meaning to get rid of it for a while.  So this was just the perfect time.  Since Nick didn't want to take it to the trash collection place right away I suggested we put it in the living room to see how the kids reacted to it.  They thought it was hilarious.  Liam laid on it and smiled.  I LOVE it....it reminds me of a movie pit I saw on Pinterest.  Of course, it doesn't help the clutter or playing space and it's not that safe for the kids to play on or around.  But Nick and I enjoyed watching TV "in bed" on the living room floor.    That's one of the benefits of not having a social network up here....we don't have to worry about people coming over and seeing a mattress on our living room floor. :)

Yesterday we went to a Fall Festival at a local church we drive by frequently.  It was nicely organized and super fun (and cheap!).  The boys had a blast and we enjoyed seeing their happy faces.  Gavin was such a good listener and just very well behaved.  I kept complimenting him all day.  Lately we've had some trying days with him but he's been really good this weekend.  Nick and I both have been conscious of our reactions and discipline strategies and I think we both have made some adjustments and perhaps that's why he's been better.
Anyhow, here are some pictures from the weekend:

Gavin's Self Portrait.  Since reorganizing his room, he has now rediscovered his art easel.

Liam on the mattress in our living room floor.  

Whole wheat banana pancakes were a hit!  Liam ate a whole one and Gavin ate TWO of them.


Bouncing at the Fall Festival

Playing hoops at the festival

Painting "hair' on his pumpkin




Making cinnamon cream cheese frosting for the pumpkin cupcakes.  He was so happy to add the sugar. :)

 Of course, Gavin had to taste the cupcake after frosting it.  The funny part is he ate the frosted muffin top and then said "I need another one."  He only ate the part with the frosting so I suggested he put more frosting on the rest and he gladly did and ate the whole thing.

I was surprised he gravitated to the washer game right away

The petting zoo.  Liam's FAVORITE part.  He loved it in there.  He was not afraid of the animals, went up to pet them, and cried when we left. 






Sunday we were rained in.  There were really strong thunderstorms overnight and in the morning so we did not go to the other fall festival at a nearby farm like we had planned.  So, it was a craft and movie day for the kids.  At first I thought Liam would enjoy this by his initial reaction but it did not last long.  After a couple of minutes he started trying to eat the crayons, ripped the paper from the table and started throwing everything on the floor--his cue to let him off the chair.  Oh, well.  
 Gavin on the other hand was into it.  First we made a paper bag friend for his paper bag dog, Bagster.  This one he called Bagsey.
Then he painted a family portrait with watercolors.  Here's a (very long) video of him painting his family.

1 comment:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

That's quite a post Steph. Loved the pics. I did the same with the boys rooms. Too many toys is overwhelming and does cut down on impressive play. Ron of course thinks differently. More is more.......not true. He just like to see his loved ones with toys he didn't have. He's working on curbing his buying though. I am curious as to how Liam will be now with Sam or the cows.
Thanks Stephanie, great post!