Thursday, October 11, 2012

The countdown to Florida

On days like today I feel I need a nanny, a maid, and a chef so I can get all the things I need to get done.  The to-do list before we leave to Florida keeps getting longer.  I tried to do as much as I could ahead of time but some things are just last minute.
Things that make it difficult to get the to-do list done....two children screaming for attention this morning.  I don't get it, we thought having two would make things easier because they would entertain themselves and rely less on us for attention.  Not the case (yet) (I hope...for my sanity's sake).  Gavin woke me up at 5am and then I couldn't go back to sleep.  He didn't wake me up intentionally, he was using the bathroom and I heard him.   This bathroom break keeps getting earlier and earlier.  I will stop giving him liquids after dinner to see if it stops.
Then Liam...he's great at nights.  But for some reason he is SO clingy to me when I'm home. It's probably because I'm trying to do other things--like dishes, laundry, cleaning, playing with Gavin, etc.  He drives me a little crazy when he hangs on to my legs for me to pick him up.  This late in the pregnancy I really don't want to carry another 22 lbs. around.  I'm surprised my arms are not more muscular looking.  I carry this kid around for LONG periods of time throughout the day.  I have learned to do a lot of things with one hand.  But my hips and back are definitely feeling the added pressure.  Last week I could barely walk one day it hurt pretty bad.  This week I feel better but I sure hear a lot of cracking/popping when I sit/stand and pick up Liam.

I finally just got a break after dropping off Gavin at preschool and now putting Liam down for a nap.  Although it's been 20 minutes and I still hear him talking so I don't know that he'll nap.  He NEEDS a nap before we get into the car....or perhaps this will be better.  I don't know.  I am excited about going to Florida and spending time with the family and getting a break from the routine but preparing for the trip makes me anxious.  I think Liam and Gavin can sense my energy today because I was really hoping they stuck to the routine, to my plan, and now that they are not (Liam not napping, Gavin eating lunch earlier than usual and not going poop before school)--I'm worried it will make our drive longer and more stressful.
Oh well, such is life with kids.  Expect the unexpected.  Move on quickly.  I will meditate before the drive, clear my head and think positive.

1 comment:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

I don' know how you do get so much done. Kids pick up on stress and anxiety, which we all have before a trip. You just have so much more to take in with the new baby and your dissertation. Abuela will take over some of the kids care I am sure to five your back a break. Have a safe trip and see you all soon. Love, Mary-mom