Sunday, August 24, 2008

Week 11 + 4 days

I thought I would share some of the crazy old wives' tales that I've heard in the last couple of weeks:

1. Someone asked if my nipples were darker because if they were it would mean that I'm having a boy. I have never heard this one before.

2. If acne is real bad it means you're having a boy because of the male hormones. This one humors me. How many hormones can a 1 inch fetus really have to cause acne?


3. If the belly is expanding outward rather than sideways (basketball belly vs. fat all around belly) it's more likely to be a boy.

4. If I crave sweet/sour treats, it's a girl.

Outside of the "what is it going to be?" frenzy everyone seems to go through once I tell them I'm pregnant, I haven't been bombarded with horror pregnancy stories or personal advice. Although one of my mom's friends did advise me to ditch the bikini underwear and only wear maternity underwear. I haven't bought any yet because I'm not passed the first trimester. I refuse to buy any maternity clothing before the first trimester ends. I feel stupid shopping for maternity clothes when I'm not even 3 months yet. However, I can already tell this is wise advise so in the coming weeks I will be shopping.

1 comment:

Mary Fryman Guittar said...

Funny how these old wives tales travel down through the years. One that I remember well was, you take off your wedding band and hang it on a string or chain. Then you dangle the ring over the belly. If it swings it means either a girl or boy, or if it does circles it means the other. I don't remember which means what.
Love,
Mary-Mom