Monday, September 1, 2008

12 weeks + 5 days

I'm finally entering the transition phase into the second trimester. Mentally I already feel so much better. Maybe it's because I get to do some of the fun stuff during the second trimester.

My mom pointed out that I should blog about stuff other than my symptoms because she's grossed out reading about morning sickness. I didn't think it was that bad. I haven't experienced most of the symptoms listed in the pregnancy books. The only consistent "symptom" is indigestion especially after dinner (probably because I plop on the couch right after eating) and nausea between 9am-12pm. The toothpaste aversion is still VERY much a problem but I think I'll have to deal with that until the end. In order to appease my mom, I will not write about my morning sickness anymore. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to report it's no longer a problem. For now, I'll focus on the new and exciting stuff.

Accomplishments for this week:

1. I enrolled in hypno-birthing classes. Originally, hypno-birthing classes were much pricier than Bradley. However, a friend recommended another hypno-birthing instructor and her course is less expensive than even the Bradley classes (however, the Bradley course is twice as long in duration so that probably accounts for the price difference). Anyhow, my insurance didn't cover any birthing classes- as the representative said "we don't cover education, only medical procedures". This is a shame. I'm really trying to save the insurance company money by being educated about the process and try to lower my risks of complications/c-sections and they don't care. I'm excited about the group class. The content sounds great, I just hope I fit in with the group and won't be judged for not wanting a doula (the instructor is a doula).

2. I also ordered a couple of birthing books this week online. I think this fall, Nick and I will be the couple that sits in the same room but doesn't talk to each other. At least we'd be reading. We both have books to get through (he has WAY more than I do- if you ever wondered what earning your PhD was like, he has to read 26 books this semester alone AND prepare lectures on about 1/2 of them). I am hoping that all the reading pays off and that I'll actually be able to apply the methods when it's time. I recently went to a training for a specific child abuse prevention curriculum where they mentioned that in a time of crisis/fear, our brain does not remember anything we've read or been told in lecture format. In this training, they said the reason they use songs to teach children how to react in an uncomfortable situation is because audio/songs are stored in a different part of our brain that is not blocked when fear takes over us. Therefore, they are able to remember the song which reminds them of what they should do. Using this reasoning, I may have to come up with a song for the relaxation techniques I'll learn during class so when panic hits me on the first contraction I'll be able to relax.

3. I've chosen my stroller/car seat combination (I'm 98% sure about it). I was pretty set on the Inglesina Zippy stroller even before I was pregnant. My best friend has the Zippy and she just can't say enough good things about it. I've read the reviews and the closest competitors were the Chicco Cortina and the Peg Perego Pliko P3 Classico. I haven't seen the Peg Perego in person but I ruled it out because it is expensive and I'm not convinced it's any better than the Inglesina for the price. After careful reviewing, I'm still sold on the Inglesina Zippy. I'll probably wait to buy it in January so I can get the 2008 model much cheaper. If not, I can get the 2007 model. The 2007 is available for a reasonable price.
I had a hard time choosing a car seat because I thought the Inglesina stroller was only compatible with the Inglesina pram or Graco car seats. I don't care much for Graco car seats. I had a biased opinion to begin with about anything Graco. For some reason I thought (and part of me still does believe this) that their mass production of products means their quality suffers. While this may not be the case, I was looking for alternatives from day 1. This week I discovered that Inglesina makes the Compass I-420 infant car seat compatible with the Zippy stroller. This makes my life a lot easier. The only downfall is that I haven't found a local retailer that sells this model so I haven't taken a look at it in person. My dad would prefer I buy a Britax for their safety record. I'll decide for sure when I am able to pick the car seat up and feel how heavy each one is.


That's all folks!

No comments: