Saturday, September 20, 2008

15 weeks + 3 days or 5 days?

On Wednesday, I had my Dr.'s appointment. The reason I wrote 15 weeks + 3 or 5 days on the title is because according to my count, I am 15 weeks + 3 days but the Dr. has it as 5 days. Either way, I'm close to my 4th month. I have now gained 8 lbs. It's hard to say where the 8 lbs have gone. I have gained 4 inches in my midsection and although I haven't gone up another cup, my bra is definitely fuller. But I don't think I look pregnant to other people yet.
Anyhow, Nick came with me to the appointment so he could hear the heartbeat. The heartbeat didn't show up right away which made my heart stop for a second, but the Dr. had just placed the Doppler a little off center. Once he found it, it was like the galloping horse it's supposed to be- about 156 beats/minute. The Dr. said he couldn't tell the sex of the baby by the heartbeat. That was the last thing on my mind, I just wanted to hear it again. He did give me the order for THE ultrasound. I'm scheduled for Wednesday, October 8th at 8am. This is the ultrasound where not only will we might see the sex of the baby but where they will measure all body parts to make sure she is developing how she should.

We didn't get to discuss my bloodwork because the results were not in my chart. The Dr. thought he might have reviewed them and sent them to medical records to put in my chart but they didn't get to in time for my appointment. If that is the case, then the fact that I didn't get a call prior to the appointment is good news and I'm cleared from any STI's/HIV. I thought the bloodwork included the quad screen test but it did not. I now have another order for that test. The good thing about this is that by my next Dr.'s appointment, the Dr. will have the quad screen results AND the ultrasound so we'll go over both together. Although the Dr. said that if they find something abnormal in the ultrasound, the technician will call him while I am there for further instructions. Surprisingly, I'm not anxious about this ultrasound (yet). I'm trying to focus my energy on positive thoughts and not the stuff that I have no control over. Last week, I couldn't stop thinking about whether she was ok or not because I had not felt any fluttering as all my email updates say I should be able to feel (btw, Dr. said 1st time mothers might not feel baby as late as 21 weeks so I'm not alone). I didn't want to think about that anymore so I started making a list of activities that I'm looking forward to doing with the baby in the future. First on my list is doing a 5K race and making a little bib for the baby saying "Baby's First 5K". I was thinking I could use the "backpack baby carrier" (don't know actual name) to carry the baby and walk a 5K.
Back to the Dr.'s appointment, I asked him what I could do about the fact that my vitamin makes me deathly nauseous and his answer was: "Flintstones". He said if I'm eating healthy chances are I don't need the pre-natal vitamins so any vitamin supplement will do-even children's vitamins. So, I'm not taking Flintstones because they had artificial dyes that I didn't care for but we did find some all natural gummy bears vitamins. These have worked well because they taste like candy.
Now, I just wait for October 8th.

On other subjects:
*This week I started realizing why some moms live in sweatpants after giving birth. Maternity clothes are so comfortable that I think I may have a hard time going back to regular clothes with seams and restrictive waistbands.

*Baby LOVES steaks and philly cheese steaks. I crave steak almost everyday and I dream about different kinds of philly cheese steaks! :)

*Orange Juice is banned from my diet (due to an incident earlier this week)

No comments: