Wednesday, September 10, 2008

14 weeks

Today I'm 14 weeks which means I'm officially in the second trimester. I had my blood work done this morning. I sort of waited until the last minute to do it. My next Dr.'s appointment is next Wednesday and I'm hoping 7 days is enough time for him to get the results by then. The blood work included the quad pre-natal screen (testing for 4 different birth defects/abnormalities), cystic fibrosis screening, and HIV testing. The STD testing was done at the Dr.'s office last time. The only test I'm anxious to know the results is the quad-screen. There is a "high" rate of false positives with that screening and my books said it should be done between weeks 15-20. One book actually said if you do it too early (before 15 weeks) there's a higher probability of a false positive- which is my case. I'm not "worried" about it because there's nothing I can do about it. I can only hope that all is well.

I went maternity clothes shopping after work today. I got to the store right at 8pm which worked great for me since I don't have a long attention span for shopping. I was out of the store by 8:40pm. I bought:
  • Pair of dress black pants
  • Pair of jean capris
  • Pair of khakis shorts
  • A two piece set- business casual
  • 2 maternity T's
  • Pair of black leggings (impulse buy; I never wear leggings but I saw a cute pregnant woman while we were on vacation wearing leggings and a maternity top and it looked really cute. I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to wear them.)
  • Underwear, underwear, underwear: I bought a pack of every low rise option they had. The salesperson said "are you trying to figure out which ones you like?" YES!
  • Maternity SPANX (not the actual Spanx brand but same concept). Spanx is a brand of seamless, bottom and belly shaper that sucks everything in and keeps everything from shaking when you move. I haven't tried it on yet but I hope that it's tight enough but yet comfortable so I can wear my jersey/clingy dresses comfortably.

I haven't bought this many clothing items at once in years. This is my maternity wardrobe starter set. After trying a few different options, I definitely prefer the pants with the large stretchy belly section (motherhood maternity calls it the secret fit belly). I didn't think it would make a big difference but the low rise options just made me feel like a had a "muffin top" (belly hanging over the waistband).

That's all for now. 'Til next time.

No comments: