Monday, December 15, 2008

27 weeks + 5 days

Here are the stats from today's Dr.'s appointment:

Weight gained since last visit: 11 lbs! wow. That's a lot of weight gain for 4 wks. I was worried I had not gained enough because I didn't see a difference in the belly pictures. Nick said, "You're solid". He thinks the belly hasn't expanded but the inside has filled up.
Belly measurements: 27 cm - I don't know what this means but I figured I'd track it. Dr. said it's within the normal range.
Baby's heart beat: 150-160 range

My blood pressure was great and my gestational diabetes results were normal so I'm in great shape so far.
I asked the Dr. a few questions about labor:

Q1: Before there were epidurals, what type of painkillers were used?
Dr.: (paraphrased) A needle was inserted inside the vagina into the pelvic bone to numb the area. OR a needle was inserted into the lower back.
My Rxn: WHAT!?!??! Ok, so I know I'm going for a natural childbirth but I was really curious about what was used pre-epidurals. I was secretly hoping there was a needle-free option. The fact that there isn't one makes natural birthing the only option. I have to train harder!

Q2: If I need a c-section, can I choose general anesthesia over an epidural?
Dr: No. General anesthesia means baby is under general anesthesia and this is only done in emergencies.
My Rxn: I figued the answer would be NO.

Q3: How about eating and drinking during labor?
Dr: Ice chips and popsicles. Otherwise, it leads to nausea.
My Rxn: I laughed. If I don't eat for 4 hours, I will throw up anyway. I told him about Ensure being my lifeline and he still didn't like that. So, my compromise: Ensure popsicles! He laughed. No, really I'm dead serious.
I liked how Nick looked at the Dr. and said "you don't know how she gets when she doesn't eat". He knows me so well....we WILL be sneaking in Ensure.

I told the Dr. I'd have my birth plan by the nest visit. I know what I'm up against. I'm not stressing about it. I just need to focus on my relaxation. I've been talking to Gavin to let him know we're a team. He does his thing and I will do mine. We're in it together and I need him to know that I will do everything I can to not mess with his process so that he can make mine easier. Til next time...

No comments: