We got there a little early so we sat by the pool to watch the other children (older) swim and the mommy and me class. He seemed to enjoy watching everyone swim but when I asked him "do you want to go swim?" he said no. I was shocked because that's the first time he's actually said no. When he saw his instructor, he started whimpering. He cried a little before he got in the pool and for the first couple of dunks but then he just stopped. We were both shocked. He actually looked like he was having fun. When the teacher gave him the prompt he launched to the wall- no push from her or anything. He does have a lazy leg, he only kicks with his left leg which is weird. He celebrated every touch to the wall as usual but there just seemed to be so much more confidence today. He just knew he could do it and enjoyed every minute of it. Just beautiful.
Gavin is still easily distracted in the pool during lessons because there is other stuff going on around the pool. Today there was a little girl practicing soccer with her dad in the grassy area by the pool. Since Gavin loves balls, he kept pointing and saying "ball" before his first dunk. The instructor called him a "4 year old soccer goalie" because he's so distracted! So we started talking about preschoolers playing soccer. She along with the lifeguard, (who sits right by us) are soccer coaches for a league of 4 year olds. So they were sharing stories about how they all follow the ball and want to score a goal-no matter whose goal it is. All of a sudden, the lifeguard says "hold on" and jumps in the pool. When I look over to where she jumped, I see a little girl about 2 years old going under water and trying to come up for air clearly in distress. As the lifeguard jumps in, mom also jumps in (full clothing and all). I immediately start crying because in a flash, I realized what people always say....it happens so fast....not a sound....no splashing.....there were so many people and NO ONE noticed until the lifeguard jumped in. Where was mom you ask? Well, I didn't see where she was or was she was doing but I will say that this mom raised a red flag for me. Since we got there early and we were watching everyone around the pool I did see this mom come in with a boy about 5 years old and the little girl, my guess is 2 1/2 years old. They sat right next to us and I heard mom say to the kids "Stay right by the steps, ok?" . I thought to myself that the little girl seems to young to be by herself in the water.
Needless to say, we took a break from Gavin's lesson because the instructor and I just needed a moment. I had tears for the rest of the class because I just couldn't get over the shock. I commended the lifeguard for her job because even as we were talking she still kept her eyes on the pool. The instructor kept telling me "that will never happen to Gavin" but of course every parent thinks that something like that would never happen to their child but it does. I do take this as reassurance that are taking steps in the right direction. But I still think about all the family gatherings that we have around pools where everyone is outside, just like they were today and people are talking and it just takes that one second where you are distracted for a tragedy to happen. I know it may sound like an exaggeration when you read this but I swear seeing it happen just gave me even more perspective on the matter. It can happen to any of us, especially if you have multiple children....one does something cute, you praise them and your eyes are off the other kid.
I really wish that one particular mom from the mommy and me class would have stayed after the class so she could witness the incident. Our instructor had gone over to the mommy and me class to talk to them about SafeStart and answer any questions. This particular mom said "I am very emotional and I'm pregnant and I see what you do with the kids and they cry. I don't think I could handle seeing him cry". Let's face it, I judged her. Seriously, you're not going to teach your child survival skills because they'll cry? I can understand if you said the time commitment or the price but crying?!?? Anyhow, the instructor replied something like 'they cry because they want to do everything on their own terms and they don't like us to do what they need to do. this course is for every child but it may not be for every parent'. Afterwards the instructor and I talked and she confessed that what she really wanted to say is 'would you rather have your child drown?' I wish that mom would've been there to see how the one two-year old could have drowned in front of everyone while the two year old who takes lessons after Gavin floats immediately dropped into the pool. To those who say it is too much money, it's too time consuming....I understand because I thought about those things. I'm just always one of those people to think about worst case scenarios and how I can prevent them. It's priceless to have a little more peace of mind- not that any child is drown-proof because they are NOT. Adult supervision is the best prevention- this means YOU- don't assume someone else is watching your kid just because they are sitting by the pool because as I witnessed today they were not.
1 comment:
Wow, What a day! Sometimes things happen for a reason, sometimes just a tragic accident. Today you were there to see the almost tragic accident and reassured you to be a mom with 12 eyes at all times. I was told many times I didn't let my boys be boys but after my accident with fire I knew that as a mom you can never be too careful. But still sometimes even that is not enough. You do your best and today will help you never forget that. Gavin has a great mommie. Love, Mary-Mom
Post a Comment