Gavin is 2 years old. People told me that the first year would fly by and in retrospect I think this year went by a lot quicker than the first year. This was also a year of 100% fun rather than the long periods of sleep deprivation and transitions that happen during the first year. So, to celebrate the occasion I'd like to talk a little bit about some of the fun stuff he's been up to lately.
We are both amazed everyday by our little man. Everyday he shows us something new he has learned. Everyday he has new vocabulary that we wonder how we learned. I've said it before, Gavin is a talker but now we're starting to hear a lot more 3-5 letter sentences and fun phrases. My favorite is still "Mama, what u doing?" because he seems to genuinely care. Here are others he's said over the past few weeks: "Mama, there's a red truck" - said it in the car as we drove past a red truck on 417. Another time I asked him where one of his toy cars was and he said "I dunno know where it is". As I'm writing this he is sitting in the dining room table playing with his cars. I just heard him say "I'm sorry, train...don't worry train" because he accidentally knocked the train with his car.
I love that he tells us exactly how he feels. I live for him saying "this is fun"...that's my goal every time I'm with him - to do something that he thinks is fun. Last week, that happened to be at Publix. I let him "push" the grocery cart and help me put things in the basket (it's a special "car" cart that sits low enough for him to put things into) and he loved it. At the cash register, he had about 4 employees around him because they couldn't get over how well behaved he was. He said "I'm Gavin" to each of them and said "bye" as we left.
He says "delicious" when he likes what he's eating. He asks for specific food too. He does like his veggies, particularly corn, carrots and green beans. But like every toddler, he also loves mac n cheese...and anything that can be dipped in 'sauce'.
He typically will point out and say everything that he knows. For example, he knows his colors and shapes so in the last couple of weeks, he's said "octagon" every time he sees a stop sign. My friend gave him a soccer ball as a present and as soon as she gave it to him, he said "Soccer ball" then we hear "pentagon, hexagon" and when we looked at him, we realized he was pointing out the shapes of the stitching in the soccer ball (Nick was surprised to see that it did have both pentagons and hexagons on it). He also has a new thing where he quizzes himself. As we were driving home and he was holding the soccer ball, we heard him say "Octagon? Nooooo. Pentagon!". We've heard him do this with letters and various toys too. It's too funny.
Nick taught him a new number last week, #20. Then I was at Target this week and as I'm walking along the cash registers I hear him saying his numbers "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..." and so on. I had stopped to look at some things and I heard him say "twenty...mama, twenty". I didn't know that Nick had taught him 20 so I didn't understand what he was saying, but when I asked Gavin what he was saying he pointed to the # above the cash register and sure enough it was the number 20! I was shocked. So far, he can consistently count from 1 to 13 perfectly. The funny thing was that after 20, he kept "counting" but since he doesn't know these by name he just said "2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, " and so on. :)
Gavin is a very affectionate son. He will randomly come and snuggle with us which we both love. There's been a couple of times when Nick or I have given him a kiss and he said "thank you, mama" or "thank you, daddy" and we just melt. Nick and I like to hear him say "I love you" but we know that he says it because we say it first and so he repeats it but doesn't understand the concept--but when he says "thank you" after a kiss or a hug, we take that as his way of saying I love you and we love him even more! :)
I've heard people talk about unconditional love and the love for your children. It's one of those things that you hear so much that it loses its meaning but I truly understand what that means now. I told Nick, it's so different the love that I have for Gavin than the love I have for my parents or even him. I love my parents very much but the love I have for Gavin is "painful" and I say that in the most positive way. I physically feel pain in my heart when I think about how much I love this kid!
Happy Birthday, Gavin!
No comments:
Post a Comment