Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday indeed

I have been looking forward to today all week since I felt like the 3 days that Gavin spent at my mom were an eternity.  For some reason, this particular week felt like I had dropped him off weeks ago and I missed him more than usual.  This morning I asked him if he wanted to go to the library and he said no but then later said yes.  He still wasn't thrilled about it but complied contently.  He did ok in the class but this particular teacher must be a fill-in because she did not follow the usual routine and Gavin was bored.  Anyone who has a toddler knows their attention span is quite short and so you need to change activities quickly to keep their attention.  This teacher spent 10 out of the 15 minutes singing nursery rhymes that were new to the kids.  I know Gavin was thinking--- this is for babies!  So, I really couldn't blame him.  I was surprised that he did not run away and started doing crazy things, instead he stood up and said "All done, I want to go home"  then he said "I want to look at books" so we left to look at books.  The fact that he was so matter of fact makes me think he just felt he wasn't gaining anything from being there.  I literally had a flash back of my first day in kindergarten when I just sat in the back of the room working on like a 500 piece puzzle all day because I thought what the teacher was doing was for "little kids".  I think it only took my parents a couple of days to figure out I was bored out of my mind.

Then it was off to get lunch then a haircut.  We tried a new place for lunch.  I ordered a falafel and Gavin ate 4 inches out of the 6" wrap plus some real "potatoes with sauce".  I couldn't believe how well he ate and behaved.  The people around us noticed it too.  One of the employees came out to give him a toy that comes in their kids' meals as a prize since she thought he was cute.  Then as I walked out an older gentleman said "is he always like that?  He sat there so patiently".  I felt great but the truth is...no, he's not always like that.  He just happened to catch him on a good day at the perfect time!
The haircut place had the movie Cars on TV so of course, Gavin sat there like an angel while the lady quickly trimmed his hair.  Then he got a balloon and a lollipop so he was just getting treats everywhere we went.  It's funny how Gavin doesn't really eat lollipops but he knows they're a treat so he just likes to pick one out and hold it.
Back home, I put him down for a quick nap since there was a realtor coming to show the house within an hour.  He went right to sleep.  He woke up right as the doorbell rang and was a total angel.  He greeted the family and said "what are you doing here?" (in a cute way).  They said, "we want to look at your house", so Gavin said "this is my room" and walked them to his room.  Then the family went in the bathroom and Gavin pointed out "this is my potty and this is mama's potty".  At least they thought my kid was cute! We'll see if they liked the house---but maybe Gavin will help them remember this one. :)

All in all, although I didn't do anything special with or for him, we had a great day together.         

No comments: