Saturday, July 2, 2011

35 weeks + 4 days

Today Nick's parents came over to help us pack our house.  Nick's dad is an expert in packing and I'm so eternally grateful for all the work he and Mary did for us in these two days (they were here a couple of days ago too).
I was not too much help.  I definitely think Liam went through a growth spurt.  I slept for 10 hours last night solid--- no bathroom breaks and I don't even recall turning during the night.  On top of that, I feel like I can eat constantly.  I can't eat big amounts in one sitting so I feel like all I'm doing is laying around, eating, going to the bathroom, napping, and repeating the cycle.  This morning I went to Publix by myself and I think I was hunched over pushing the cart most of the time.  My stomach is sticking out so far that my lower abdomen hurts from Liam's weight.  I am hoping I don't get stretch marks since this belly is different than Gavin's-- Gavin never stuck out this much or not that I remember this feeling.  Liam is still very active and according to my midwife, Kaleen, still has plenty of room in there.    

I had my midwife appointment on Wednesday and all is well.  Kaleen is estimating a 7-7.5lbs baby from his "measurements" now which is right where Gavin was.  My mom was supposed to come with me but she was actually at the hospital (all is well for now- she just has a pinched nerve on her neck) so Stacy came to check out the birthing center.  Stacy said it wasn't as "hippie" as she thought it would be.  Well, the birthing center is essentially like a house so there's really no difference between birthing at home or at the center in that sense but I think she said that because of how my midwife explained things.  My only question for Kaleen at this appointment was what would happen if I went into labor in the next 2 weeks since I distinctly remember my OB/GYN saying to me that after 35 weeks they do not stop labor.  So the same applies here except that if I were to go into labor before 37 weeks then I'd have to go to the hospital to give birth but Kaleen would still be the primary care provider which makes me happy.  Since I don't have any signs of big changes yet, Kaleen felt comfortable giving me another 2 week appointment which means I'll go back at 37 weeks.  That is scary. After that, it is literally any time.  At that point she will check me to see if my body has made any progress towards labor.  I'm excited!

On Thursday at 2:38am, my friend Anne had her baby boy.  She is the second one in our four-some UCF sociology pregnancy cohort.  I did have sympathy pains for her all night.  I had a number of contractions that night to the point where I was really scared of going into labor at that time.  That night/day literally would have been the worse possible day for Liam to decide to come into this world.  My mom was in the hospital, Nick was defending his dissertation in the morning at 10am and his parents were coming to see him, my aunt Maribel was on vacation, so literally everyone on the "on call" list was unavailable.  Now, of course Liam would have been the priority and Nick would have had to defend on another day but I am glad that everything worked out and we didn't have to tell that story.  Nick, Gavin and I went to visit Anne yesterday and after seeing her baby, it made me want mine now!  I know Liam is not ready yet and I really am not either.  I still have a lot of outstanding work to finish before I am officially "ready" for Liam (if there's ever such a thing).  

No comments: