We (Gavin & Nick) spent about half of the day today wandering around Magic Kingdom. Around 2pm we decided to head home so we made our way to the monorail station in front of Main Street. For some odd reason it took nearly 25 minutes for the monorail to arrive (one of the monorails probably had to be taken off the tracks--that takes awhile). Anyway, as we waited in line, Gavin was playing and making conversation. He periodically made eye contact with a British girl/woman next to us (probably 17-20 years old). She and her mom were chatting about how cute Gavin was as he spoke about the monorails. I recall Gavin showing off a bit, saying stuff like "I like the blue monorail," and "I think the yellow monorail is next." Simply put, he was talking up a storm.
Finally, our monorail approached. The girl leaned over to Gavin and said, "actually, the next monorail is orange." Gavin: "Yeah, the next monorail is orange" (very matter-of-factly--so Gavin!) So, we all piled into our orange monorail, and that's when the love affair began. I've honestly never seen Gavin so fixated on someone before. Our segment of the train was packed with people, but as far as Gavin was concerned, there was only one other person on the train. After he stared at the girl for a solid minute or so I said "Gavin, tell her your name, or ask for her name." He looked back at her and said "I'm Gavin," after which she shared her name (I couldn't quite hear her response). Anyway, he continued to stare, enough so that I apologized if it made her uncomfortable. She said he's adorable, and her family continued to talk about what a funny little guy he was. Before long, Gavin broke out into song "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O . . .hey, there's a yellow monorail." Again, the girl cracked up. He was so interested in monorails that he couldn't even finish his song.
The monorail eventually pulled into the station, and we prepared to exit. We took a few steps away from the monorail with the girl and her family just behind us. Gavin continued to stare at her as he said "you're a princess" (in case you didn't know, for Gavin a person with a skirt or a dress = princess--he picked this up on his own). He said it a few more times, but he was mumbling so I turned my head back and said "he says you're a princess." The girl smiled and said, "why thank you!" and then turned to her mom and said "he's so cute."
Since we were headed to the Magic Kingdom parking lot we turned to walk down the ramp from the monorail station. The girl said aloud to Gavin, "bye, I'm going this way--across the bridge" (toward the monorail to EPCOT). As we continued down the ramp Gavin started wriggling in my arms. "No, I want to go across the bridge." So, I asked him "you want to go across with bridge with the princess?" Gavin: "Yes, with the princess." I then explained that we had to go home and the princess had to go to EPCOT. I set Gavin down to walk with me, and after walking for another 20 seconds he turned to me and said "I'll just find another one." So, I asked him, "another bridge?" And he said, immediately, "no, another princess."
One of those priceless moments. . . Gavin apparently learned today that 1) sometimes you just have to move on and 2) there are other fish in the sea.
1 comment:
He must be the most hilarious 2 yr old ever! I love reading these posts. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment